Nottingham student attack: A timeline of the tragic events which ended in three deaths

A man has been arrested and remains in police custody on suspicion of murder

This morning a series of incidents took place in Nottingham city centre that left three people dead and at least two others injured.

Police have confirmed that a 31-year-old suspect was arrested and remains in police custody on suspicion of murder. Two of the victims were confirmed to be students at the University of Nottingham.

This is the timeline of the events as they unfolded throughout the day:

4am

Two University of Nottingham first year students killed on Ilkeston Road whilst on their way home from a night out in the city centre.

A witness claims he heard “blood-curdling screams” seeing a man dressed in black with a hood and rucksack “grappling with some people” on Ilkeston Road in the early hours of the morning.

A third person, a man in his 50s, was killed on Magdala Road.

5am

Nottinghamshire Police were called to Milton Street after a van had attempted to run over three people. The victims were taken to the hospital where they are currently being treated.

A Vauxhall Vivaro was seen by a witness when it pulled up beside her around 5:30am. She said:”The man in the driver’s seat looked in his mirror and saw the police car behind him.

“The white van then quickened up to the corner of the street and went into two people. He went straight into them and didn’t bother to turn.”

7am

Nottinghamshire Police took to social media reporting that six roads in the city were closed.

They announced there was a “major incident” promising updates.

9am

Police confirmed that a 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder after the bodies of three people were found.

Following this, all tram and most bus services in Nottingham were suspended.

10am

Nottinghamshire Police appealed for witnesses and set up a dedicated phone line asking anyone who had information to call 0800 0961011.

At around 10:40am the Prime Minister Rishi Sunak thanked police and emergency services for their continuing response to the incident in Nottingham.

“I am being kept updated on development” the PM said, also adding:

“The police must be given the time to undertake their work. My thoughts are with the friends and family and loved ones of those who have lost their lives.”

11am

Images of the white Vauxhall Vivaro van parked on Bentinck Road started to come through. The area around the van was cordoned off and policed were photographed grading the perimeter.

Via SWNS

Via SWNS

A rucksack was pictured at the side of the van. There was also visible damage on the windscreen of the van.

Via SWNS

Via SWNS

1pm

A BBC correspondant, Navtej Johal, saw a number of armed police raid a property on Ilkeston Road. A new cordon was put in place near the corner of Albert Grove.

3pm

University of Nottingham’s Students’ Union announced that the Graduation Ball scheduled for tonight had been cancelled and that students would receive refunds for their tickets.

4pm

University of Nottingham confirmed that two of the victims who died were students and released a statement saying: “It is with great sadness that we confirm the sudden and unexpected deaths of our students following a major incident in Nottingham city centre.

“We are shocked and devastated by the news.”

5pm

A vigil was held at St Peter’s Church in Nottingham, as students and the community gather with flowers to remember those lost in today’s incidents.

Paul Williams, the bishop of Nottingham Southwell, said it had been a “very difficult day for Nottingham.”

Featured image via LINDSEY PARNABY/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock.

Related articles recommended by the author:

• Grad Ball cancelled following ‘major incident’ in Nottingham city centre

• Two dead in major incident believed to be University of Nottingham students

•  Man arrested after three people found dead in Nottingham city centre