Grad Ball cancelled following ‘major incident’ in Nottingham city centre

Two of those found dead are believed to be first year University of Nottingham students

University of Nottingham’s Students’ Union has confirmed that tonight’s graduation ball has been cancelled after today’s “serious incident” in Nottingham city centre.

Two of those found dead are believed to be students from the University of Nottingham. They were said to be walking home from a night out when they were stabbed on Ilkeston Road at around 4am.

In email sent to all attendees, the SU confirmed that they will be organising refunds for all those had bought tickets for the ball.

Following this morning’s incidents a 31-year-old suspect was arrested and remains in police custody. Police have cordoned off areas within the city centre as they continue their investigation.

The Uni of Notts SU has released an email to students saying: “Due to events in the city centre last night, we made the decision to cancel Grad Ball this evening.

“We will be in contact soon to arrange refunds for the event, but in the meantime we’re continuing to work with the university and relevant authorities to understand the situation, and will keep you updated across our social media platforms, as appropriate.

“If you need support at this time, you can find details of where to find this on our website. If you have any information on this morning’s incidents, or are concerned about  a family member or friend please call Nottinghamshire Police on their dedicated line – 0800 0961011.”

If this story affects you or you have information you’d like to anonymously share, email [email protected].

Featured image © Copyright Stephen Richards and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Related articles recommended by the author:

• Man arrested after three people found dead in Nottingham city centre

• Large police presence and roads closed after ‘serious incident’ in Nottingham City Centre

• Man arrested by police following two sexual assaults in Lenton