Two dead in major incident believed to be University of Nottingham students

The two students were said to be walking home from a night out when they were attacked

This story will be updated as and when we have more information. Last updated at 4.30pm.

Two of those found dead after this morning’s major incident in Nottingham city centre are University of Nottingham students, the university has just confirmed to The Tab.

An eye witness claims he heard “blood-curdling screams” seeing a man dressed in black with a hood and rucksack “grappling with some people” on Ilkeston Road in the early hours of the morning. Police later found two bodies on the street, while a man was also found dead on Magdala Road.

A male who is reported to be a friend of one of the victims told The Mirror: “He was a friend of mine. He was just walking home from a club like we all do.”

According to this friend, both victims were in their first year.

One student told the Telegraph: “They just got unlucky. They were five minutes from home and got stabbed by a random guy.”

Nottinghamshire Police are said to be keeping an “open mind” over the motive of the attack. They are working alongside counter-terror police and say that no one else is wanted in connection with the attacks.

In a statement, the university said: “It is with great sadness that we confirm the sudden and unexpected death of two of our students following a major incident in Nottingham city centre overnight. We are shocked and devastated by the news. Our thoughts are with those affected, their families and friends. We know this is likely to cause distress for staff and students in our community. Support is available through our support and wellbeing services for any of our community who may need it.”

This story will be updated as and when we have more information.

If this story affects you or you have information you’d like to anonymously share, email [email protected].

Related articles recommended by author:

• Man arrested after three people found dead in Nottingham city centre

• Large police presence and roads closed after ‘serious incident’ in Nottingham City Centre

• Man arrested by police following two sexual assaults in Lenton