University of Nottingham investigating two accounts of hate crime towards staff

The university will offer students a ‘micro-learning course’ on hate crime awareness

University of Nottingham are investigating two incidents in which staff members were subject to hate crime.

The hate crime was described as in the form of graffiti but the exact nature of the graffiti has not been revealed.

The incident was reported internally and a formal complaint to the police is currently being considered.

An email was sent out to all Nottingham students in the school of CLAS (Cultures, Languages and Area Studies) on Thursday 1st December, informing them of the incident.

The email said the school will be responding to the incident by introducing a “new micro learning course on hate crime awareness” that will be texted to all students in the department.

Students are expected to complete the course to ensure they “feel confident about what hate crime is” and how they can prevent it.

In a statement released to students, the head of Cultures, Languages and Area Studies, Professor Paul Hegarty said: “As Head of our School, I am saddened and dismayed that anyone in our community has been subject to hate crime.

“I want to reassure you that I am working closely with the School leadership team to ensure that those impacted by this issue are supported and that those responsible are brought to account”

Do you know anything about these incidents? If so, please get in contact with @thetab_nottingham on Instagram. 

Two men arrested after Nottingham student house burgled

‘We don’t want to hurt the students’: We spoke to striking Nottingham University lecturers

Nottingham Students’ Union believes in ‘freedom of choice’ and is showing the World Cup