I went for a fun day out in Nottingham for less than £10, here’s how you can too

The cost of living crisis is hitting us all hard

Students are quite familiar with the concept of being broke. From having £100 in the account at the start of the month to £5 by the second week, I have survived this self-induced poverty quite sometimes. Despite being extremely low on funds, the urge to travel and explore remains consistent in us. I am no stranger to that urge.

Hence, last month I decided to use the last of the funds surviving in my bank account and explore Notts. Being an international student, I wanted to explore every possible nook and cranny of the city I have called my home for the past year. With a skip in my step and my favourite pair of shorts, this is how I spent a day exploring Notts with just £10 on me.

Took the bus to Wollaton Park – £4

After having a quick breakfast of Cornflakes, I ran out to the J5 bus station near the Victoria Centre and boarded the bus to Wollaton Park. Initially, only 10p was deducted from my account but at the end of the day, a total sum £4 was deducted. This also included my return fare.

A 20-minute bus ride to the park with views of the city passing by was the usual until I saw a poster on the bus stand saying: “20 chicken nuggets for £3.99”. Burger King sure knows how to keep broke students like me filled up. 

The student friendly chicken nugget poster (photo: shobhangi rudra)

Had an ice cream and watched the dogs run around in the park – £2

The entry to the park was free and as soon as I stepped in, a white-coloured ice cream truck greeted my grumbling stomach. I ordered a single scoop small cone vanilla softie and it cost me £2. The cone was a bit large to be called a small cone and the taste of the ice cream was worth £2 if not more. With the sweet treat clutched in my hand, I began exploring the grounds. There were posters everywhere about a T-Rex exhibition taking place inside the Manor.

However, entry was £8 for students and my very limited budget did not let me have a look at the giant Rex inside. Maybe some other time when I won’t be on a tight budget. Despite this, the park was quite big, and it took me almost two hours to take a tour of the entire ground. From ducks quacking on the side of the huge clear watered lake to a herd of deer hopping over a fence and scooting into the forest, it was a nice experience to have a walk around Wollaton Park. I got to pet some dogs and feed the ducks which were nice as well. 

Soft ice cream and vast green fields (photo: shobhangi rudra)

Went for a stroll to the Arboretum – Free

I returned to the City Centre fairly early and decided to check out the Arboretum. Lush green fields and the sun shining on the foliage made the Arboretum look like a treat to the eyes. Although, my lonely self was a tad bit heartbroken to see couples around every corner, the ducks roaming around the lake made it much more bearable. 

The city’s most beautiful park (photo: shobhangi rudra)

Visited the Nottingham General Cemetery – Free

Just when I thought my day out was over, I saw the gates of the cemetery right opposite to the Arboretum open. With a slight hope of seeing or feeling a chill down my spine, it is Spooky Seeason after all, I decided to enter the cemetery grounds. Rows and rows of graves dominated the landscape with some from the 1800s. An eerily beautiful spot to go for a walk here if you like the peace and tranquillity. 

Had a plate of masala chips at my personal favourite Viva India restaurant – £3.50 

By the time I left the cemetery, my stomach was making sounds like Shrek the Ogre. I “hangrily” hurried to my favourite fast-food spot in the city – Viva India Street food. A cozy ambiance with the golden light shrouding every nook of this little café, this place always reminded me of home.

The aromas, the music and the entire soul of this place oozed the Indian spirit. My go-to food here is the Masala viva fries which are essentially fries with tons of chickpeas and Indian masala garnishing. It cost me £3.50. With that, my day out had come to a close and I headed back home.

Related articles recommended by this:

• 10 things you’ll only understand if you’ve ever lived in Rutland Hall

• I went on a night out in Nottingham completely sober and here’s how it went

• Spooktacular Halloween events happening in Nottingham this October