The best ways Notts students can help and support those in Ukraine

A series of ways you can help those in need

The conflict in Ukraine is entering its second month, and ever since it started in late February the news has made me feel more and more devastated and helpless. At times it can be hard to realise how to help with the conflict happening so far away.

As students, there are so many small ways you can help and can have a massive impact for those affected by the conflict. But it can be overwhelming to decide which services to help and which are reliable.

So, if like me, you want to help, here are the best ways in which you can support those in Ukraine. Even the smallest actions can have the biggest impacts.

Donate funds to reliable sources

With Ukraine is a platform set up by the Embassy of Ukraine to the UK in order to provide humanitarian support to Ukraine and its people. If you are able to, you can donate here.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a global organisation committed to helping saving the lives and protecting the rights of refugees. In Ukraine, the UNHCR will help provide shelter and support for those who are forced to flee to safety. If you are able, your donations will help provide emergency shelter for those left with unsuitable places to live, relief items and community support. You can donate here.

The Red Cross are accepting donations in line with their Ukraine Crisis Appeal to allow them to continue to respond to emerging humanitarian needs. So far the Red Cross teams in Ukraine have distributed over 90,000 food and hygiene parcels. Donations as little as £10 could allow the Red Cross to provide a hygiene kit to a family of five, giving them supplies to stay healthy for a month. You can donate here.

Unicef is working with partners to reach vulnerable children and families with essential services, such as those helping with health and protection. You can donate here.

Support local businesses in Ukraine

This might not seem obvious but supporting Ukrainian businesses online will allow them to receive funds in a time where they will be unable to make much needed income to keep them afloat.

Buying from Ukrainian sellers on Etsy and buying digital products from sellers will enable them to receive money directly from your sale without having to exchange physical goods.

Booking stays in Ukraine on Air BnB, without actually then going to Ukraine, is also be a good way to help those who are in a need. The owner of the accommodation will receive the money from your booking and will also hopefully offer the room for free to someone who is struggling to keep out of the warfare.

Donate items to aid sites in Nottingham

A pop up donation point has been opened at 68 High Road, Beeston, right next to The Circle Eatery. Donations are being received at the shop between 9am-4:30pm everyday. If you’re not able to make it into Beeston, donations are also being accepted in the Chemistry Building on campus and they’ll be sent over.

A range of items are being are being accepted as donations to help those affected by the conflict including: warm clothes, female sanitary products, first aid items and baby formula. A definitive list can be found on their Facebook page, here. The pop up shop are also welcoming volunteers if you want to help sort all of the donations.

The Russian Speaking Society at the university are organising a collection of items to be donated to those in need. The French and German society are also supporting them with this and ask for any items to be brought to the language practise sessions. Alternatively, you can contact them and organise a time which is suitable for you.

Sign a petition to put pressure on the government

There are a number of petitions that you can sign to push the government to increase the level of support to Ukraine. Each petitions asks for different things from the government.

Worldwide Petition – Stop This War is a petition to hold Putin’s regime in Moscow accountable for its actions by asking for increased economic sanctions. It is currently nearing 2.5 million signatures.

UK – Pledge Military Support to Defend Ukraine  is a petition asking the UK government to pledge to defend Ukraine by launching military intervention if needed.

Worlwide Petition – Ask NATO to Close Airspace Over Ukraine petitions NATO state members and Ukraine friendly countries to close the airspace over Ukraine and provide military assistance to Kyiv.

Email your local MP

Email your local MP and ask them to support Ukraine and push the government to enforce more sanctions on Russia. It may seem useless but the more people who put pressure on the government, the more they are likely to listen and impose tougher sanctions which could help those in Ukraine.

Stay Informed

Being informed about the conflict from reliable and trustful sources is the most important thing you can do. It will also allow you to bring awareness to the events taking place and correcting any false news anyone might be sharing.

The Kiev Independent and the New Voice of Ukraine are both English outlets which are great reliable sources of information about the ongoing conflict.

• Uni of Nottingham ‘working on plans’ to take on students from Ukraine

Nottingham Uni announces plans to repurpose unused buildings to house Ukrainian refugees