Uni of Nottingham issues statement cutting all formal links with Russia

The university has said it stands in solidarity with Ukraine

University of Nottingham has issued a statement confirming it will end all formal links with Russia.

In the statement made to their website, the university condemns the actions of the Russian government, and has said that it stands in solidarity with the people of Ukraine.

The University Executive Board decided that the University of Nottingham will cut all formal links with universities in Russia. This includes: current research projects, bilateral agreements, memoranda of understanding and any projects currently under development.

In addition to this, the university has said it is partaking in the UK government’s Home for Ukraine scheme, in which it is looking to repurpose unused buildings to provide Ukrainian refugees with accommodation and support.

The university is also offering mental health support through their Support and Wellbeing service for staff and students.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Shearer West said: “The university is taking this unprecedented step in response to the Russian government’s invasion of Ukraine. Academic links between universities across the globe can be vital in promoting peace and understanding, and many Russian scholars and students will oppose this war.

“However, I am deeply concerned by the statement issued by the Russian Rector’s Union which offers its universities’ unequivocal support for the invasion of Ukraine – you can read a translation here. I am also mindful of the decision by the European Commission to suspend co-operation with Russian entities in research, science and innovation. Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands, Latvia and Lithuania have independently suspended academic cooperation with Russia.”

Related titles recommended by this author:

UoN releases statement in support of Ukraine

Hundreds gather to show support for Ukraine at Nottingham demonstration

In honour of International Women’s Day, meet the influential women of UoN and NTU