UoN releases statement in support of Ukraine

‘We understand how difficult this situation will be for staff and students in our community’

Amongst global concern of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, UoN has released a statement of support for Ukraine.

The university says it is contacting students who are directly impacted by the recent events.

Students who are struggling to focus on their academic studies due to the invasion are advised to reach out to their personal tutor.

In its statement released on Friday, UoN shared its support for Ukraine and hopes for peaceful resolution. The university said: “As a global university with proud links to Ukraine, our community is deeply concerned and sends the Ukrainian people our support and earnest hopes for a peaceful resolution even as the situation deteriorates.”

UoN also acknowledged that the invasion of Ukraine will be distressing for many and have great impact on members of the University of Nottingham community. Hence, the statement advises students struggling with their academic work due to the current events to reach out to their personal tutor, who can offer advice.

The statement also notes that students can contact the Support and Wellbeing Service for support with their mental health and wellbeing, either on their own behalf or if they are worried about another student. Meanwhile, students struggling with financial difficulties are told to contact the financial support team. Places of support are also highlighted for staff members, who too may be struggling due to the impact of invasions.

An extract from the statement on the university’s website

Additionally, the university voiced its emphasis on inclusion, iterating the need for respect for those who may be affected, stating: “We understand how difficult this situation will be for staff and students in our community and will do everything we can to support those who are or will be affected. Nottingham is a diverse community with many different nationalities and we ask people to continue to respect and support each other at this time.”

It also urges all staff and students to follow the government’s travel advice and, for Ukrainian students, reassures that “the Home Office has confirmed that Ukrainians who are on study visas in the UK will have their visas temporarily extended or be able to switch onto different visa routes.”

The university’s statement, which can be found in full here, concludes by listing ways in which you can give humanitarian support through several charitable appeals. These include donating to the British Red Cross, UNICEF, and the UNHCR.

This statement comes amid Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, where, on Thursday 24 February, Ukrainian citizens awoke to a wide-scale attack engineered by Russian president Vladimir Putin. The invasion has prompted widespread outcry, with demonstrations to show support for Ukraine taking place globally, including in Nottingham where hundreds gathered near Old Market Square last Sunday. Meanwhile, the conflict continues, leaving Ukraine’s citizens and its residents stuck between the decision to flee or fight.