16 things you’ll only understand if you’re an LGBTQ+ Notts student

Pretty much every single queer person will follow each other even if they have never met

If you identify as queer you will know that being LGBTQ+ isn’t just about your sexuality. It’s about your social life, too, and how you interact with people. It’s about how you navigate through life by not conforming to a heteronormative society.

But what does this mean for a uni student in Notts? Your university experience is slightly different compared to a student who identifies as straight and cis so, here are 16 things only a queer student in Notts will understand:

There’s basically no gay clubs in Notts

It’s just a bit shit really. There are a few other dedicated queer spaces like Pit & Pendulum and a couple other pubs as well as a few clubs which host events every now and again, but I’ve never really been and don’t know many other people that have. Inspiration for a group outing maybe?

Apparently the NTU pride society do really good night’s out to ICON, and sometimes UoN LGBTQ+ students are also invited to join. Maybe there’s some hope.

There’s more acceptance and freedom now that you’re at uni

If, like me, you come from a small country village, leaving home will be the best thing for a LGBTQ+ student.

It gives you the freedom to be completely yourself with no pressure from family or back home friends who you have known your whole life. It’s a chance to recreate, or rather, just be your authentic self for the first time ever.

You’ve matched with nearly all the queer people on your course

It’s just a bit awkward really…walking into your lecture and making eye contact with the three other queer people on your course.  The conversations on dating apps always go the same as well.

And that’s that conversation over…

The queer Notts pool is small. So if you’re not following someone because you matched with them on Tinder, then you will because they have a rainbow in their insta bio or because they have mutual with the other LGBTQ+ people you know.

Everyone knows someone who will know your ex, or they would have dated them already. It’s just how it is.

Matching with someone on Tinder, then finding out you have 10+ mutual with them on insta

Similar vibes to above.

We’re all besties

Seeing the same faces on different dating apps over and over again

Oh nice, that’s a different picture of the same person who, as nice as they might be, just isn’t your type.

Simply put, queer dating is really difficult here

The lack of LGBTQ+ spaces makes it hard to meet other queer people. The best chance you have is dating apps and, well, as covered, we all know what they’re like.

Having a photo taken on the rainbow crossings

It’s an essential for the insta feed.

More people are polyamorous than you realise

Honestly, maybe I was naive before but I didn’t realise polyamory was a thing before coming to uni. It’s definitely something I’m actively learning more about and there is actually a lot of trust involved.

The queer friends you make at uni are the family you always needed growing up

Making friends with people who have had similar experiences to you growing up can be a breath of fresh air. It makes you realise that all the thoughts and feelings you had when you were a confused kid/teenager are not unique and that you weren’t alone.

It’s amazing to find a little community at uni. It’s a safe space where you can talk about your life with no judgement and you feel that you can actually get excited about it.

But finding queer friends, especially at first, can be hard

Sometimes you just want to make queer friends, but that’s tricky – particularly for freshers. There are the LGBTQ+ societies at UoN and NTU but it can be daunting to go events on your own if you don’t know people already.

There’s always that one slightly homophobic/transphobic person when meeting a new group of people

Yeah, no comment about this one.

Choosing housemates can be slightly awkward

How do you politely ask someone if they’re a raging homophobe/transphobe before signing a house?

Being excited when the LGBTQ+ flag goes up on the Trent Building

A flag? Just for us? You love to see it.

Being told you should date someone because they’re the only other queer person your straight friend knows

I should say that this obviously doesn’t apply to all straight people because there are some amazing allies and I don’t know where I would be without some of them, but there’s always that one person who wants to set you up with the only other queer person they know.

We appreciate the thought behind it but that person is clearly the polar opposite of who we would want to date.

Assuming that every person you see with colourful dyed hair is fruity

Obviously, you don’t need to have a certain look to be LGBTQ+, but you latch on to anything that resembles queerness.

This is what kind of Notts student you are based on your favourite pancake toppings

Eight things you only know if you ever lived in Cavendish Hall

What your choice of Notts panic Masters says about you