UoN ranked third in the world for sustainability

Trent placed fourth

The University of Nottingham has been named third in the world for sustainability by The UI Green Metric.

This is particularly impressive as over 900 universities took part this year from 84 different countries, but comes as no surprise as UoN has remained in the top four for a decade. The rankings were decided on the basis of six indicators: waste, water, setting and infrastructure, energy and climate change, education and transportation.

Other UK universities at the top of the rankings include the University of Oxford, which secured second place, and Nottingham Trent University, which achieved fourth place.

UoN is committed to sustainability and together with the city of Nottingham aims to become carbon-neutral by 2028. Significant progress has already been made has been made in reducing carbon dioxide emissions on campus, with a reduction of 40% since 2009.

The Downs, UoN Campus

John Atherton, Pro Vice Chancellor and Chair of UoN’s Sustainability Committee commented: “The University of Nottingham is delighted to once again be recognised for the hard work it is doing to embed environmental sustainability across the institution and make it an integral part of our education and research. Our global research programme includes a focus on sustainable food production and future food security, green chemicals to tackle greenhouse gases, and sustainable propulsion.”