What you are not gonna miss while missing uni nights out

Self-isolation won’t look too bad in comparison

It is a rather daunting and unsure time for us all right now, and while more than likely we will all pull through this together, we still have a long way to go before we can return to normality.

While being grateful for everything you still have (toilet roll being number one on this list), you may feel guilty that you still long for a night out in the midst of all of this, well I’m here to remind you what’s not so great about a night out, because, after all, can you really get FOMO if there’s nothing to actually miss out on?

1. The hangover

I’ll start with the most obvious one of them all to get it out of the way. The hangover just writes off the entire day after the night out – well, at least the productivity of the day.

Hangovers can go one of two ways for me. Either I am genuinely dead to the world and no one will see me for about 24 hours but just hear the faint noises of me groaning and Netflix emanating from my room. Or I am still drunk and, sometimes, continue drinking. If this happens there is not a single soul who I come into contact with that I don’t annoy.

So at least now I can feel comfortable with the fact I ain’t gonna chunder into an empty maccies bag or antagonise all of my housemates for the foreseeable future.

2. Waking up your whole house when you return from the night out

Yes, I fully understand how annoying it is being rudely awoken from your deep slumber before your 9am – there’s a reason you didn’t go out – but actually spare a thought for the person making the noise. Have you ever walked downstairs into a room filled with people who hate you?

Well, by doing this, I have, and it isn’t pretty. You don’t know whether to apologise or to just return to your cave and not be a nuisance to the house for the remainder of term. The anxiety this can make you experience is pretty next level and definitely won’t go a miss.

3. Club drama

I for one CANNOT seem to escape this and not even because I’m dramatic (lol joke) but drama just seems to follow a drunken uni night out worse than an episode of TOWIE.

Whatever the drama itself was, the alcohol just amplifies the intensity of the situation. What in the sober light of day could have easily have been solved by a small and amicable chat has now escalated into inaudible screaming back and forth at one another. No matter what has happened, people will pick a side, just to add to the drama.

Not only does it ruin the night, but it can even make the following weeks tinged with awkwardness or aftershock of the drama as a result of that foolish shouting. So luckily we don’t have to worry about that!

4. Spending too much money

This point I feel like is a personal attack on me and everything I stand for. It is an inevitability that you cannot escape or deny.

At the time, that extra round of jaegers for you and all your pals seems like a GREAT idea. Even if you pre-empt this boujie behaviour and only give yourself £30 to go out with, there are many ways around this. Just use your card obviously, and tap away to your hearts content.

The next morning though you have to do the fatally wounding check of your online banking and I can tell you now, it isn’t good news. More often than not this kind of drunken mistake has resulted in me being forced to have toast for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So, thank the lord that we can’t drunkenly overspend and our bank accounts can be at peace, for now.

5. Boys

A friend told me that I just HAD to make this a point on here, and for good reason. Literally SO many of my female friends have had issues with boys on nights out.

Ranging from inappropriate touching or playing with your emotions to make you get with them – all of it is a big fat NO – and whilst girls should not have to endure this, and those absolute freaks out there should STOP, this is one part of the night out you definitely will not miss.

6. Losing ALL of your stuff

This one goes out to my housemate, who I have to let in after every night out because she is incapable of keeping her keys safe. Losing your stuff is up there with one of your worst nightmares. I mean as millennials all of our lives are on our phones – so it feels like losing a part of our soul.

Then you have the whole malarkey with losing bank cards and the effort of cancelling cards, etc is just so depressing. The worst thing though is cancelling your bank card to find it 5 minutes later stuffed in the back of your jeans.

Losing your ID as well just wave goodbye to any future nights out (which we have to do anyways lol). All of this though will cost money to replace – money that you don’t have – or at least sad about dishing out on such a stupid mistake. Now your belongings can feel safe in the fact they will stay with you for the next few months!

7. Refusing to let the night end

‘Afters?’ is both my saviour and my kryptonite. While initially elated to let the party continue, I have a tendency to take things too far, like all of us do.

Just remember that the later you stay up, the more you will have to sleep, making the next day a complete waste – good luck trying to do any uni work that day.

You always have to learn this the hard way, and wake up at 4pm the next day having missed all of the plans you had originally made for the day. At least now with self-isolation we can all have a good nights sleep for once!

While I’m not condemning nights out in the slightest. Just thought that bringing to light some of the negative aspects of them would make being unable to get on it with your pals slightly better maybe?

Who knows, in the time you would usually be dedicating to beverages with the squad, in self-isolation maybe you could find a hobby and find something to do that you actually love? A solo, indoor hobby of course.