Nottingham third year is fundraising £4000 to get out of her grim Lenton flat

She’s set up a GoFundMe page

UoN third year Chantelle is so desperate to escape her nightmare flat she created a GoFundMe page to get her out of it.

The flat situated off Lenton Boulevard has mould, damp, broken electronics and slugs. She had to use the oven to keep warm.

A couple of weeks ago, Chantelle went to hospital for a scan after experiencing chest and abdomen pains, which she believes is from the mould.

She told The Tab: “I discovered upon moving in that the electric heater did not work, the microwave was rusty and unhygienic, the intercom was broken, the toilet seat was cracked, and there were signs of mould in the bathroom.

“I also found a slug in the bathroom, and then came across a tub of slug killer in the kitchen cupboard. I don’t know why this didn’t alarm me more, I think I was too wrapped up in the idea of having my own place for the first time and being independent. I sent off the maintenance reports, still with the niggling in my head that something was off, and tried to get back into my student routine.

“I also began finding slugs near the fridge and cupboards, and after an influx of spiders I discovered that there were large gaps between the cupboard skirting boards and the bottom of the cupboards, allowing both the slugs and the spiders in.”

After complaining and not being able to get out of the flat, she decided to set up a GoFundMe page to get somewhere new.

She said: “It’s disgusting that students are frequently tricked and misled into properties which pose risks to their health. As someone who suffers from asthma and gets ill very easily, I’m not comfortable remaining in the property. It’s extremely frustrating to be told that because I signed on the dotted line I am essentially stuck, when the property was misrepresented to me in the first place.

“Students are often taken advantage of when it comes to accommodation, I’ve heard of many horror stories and I know that my mine unfortunately will not be the last. I created the GoFundMe campaign out of sheer desperation because this situation is taking up all of my energy, I’m struggling to sleep and I can’t concentrate. I can’t have a normal final year student experience with this weight on my shoulders. I don’t know where I will go from here, but I am continuing to seek advice and hope that this will soon be a distant nightmare I can forget.”

You can help Chantelle escape her living nightmare here.