From Uni of to Universe: ex-UoN student running for Miss Universe

Luissa Burton talks exclusively to The Tab about her hopes to represent Great Britain at this year’s Miss Universe

In just a few short years, Luissa Burton has gone from studying Business Management to taking on the Universe.

On the 19th June, former University of Nottingham student Luissa will travel to Cardiff to take part in the national final for Miss Universe Great Britain, with the winner going on to represent GB at Donald Trump’s Miss Universe pageant later this year.

Not that any of this fazes full-time model Luissa, who hasn’t forgotten her Nottingham days.

“I miss having all my friends on the same street as me, or even in the same house,” Luissa, who graduated in 2012, told The Tab.

“It was like waking up everyday in the cast of Friends knowing there was something fun going on. Now, we’re all so spread out across the country and even the world!”

Evidently, some more than most: Luissa says one of the best things about being a model is travelling around the world.

Luissa in her days with the Nottingham Knights

“I never know where the next job is going to take me or what amazingly talented people I’m going to meet that day.

“I’m really grateful that I get to combine two of my passions – travelling and socialising (I strike up a conversation with everyone) – with my job.”

Luissa’s career is a long way from just travelling and socialising, however. Combing philanthropy with fitness, the preparations for the Miss Universe Great Britain finals next month have been particularly arduous.

“I’ve been training hard at the gym doing a combination of lifting weights and cardio, and also healthy eating.

“I’m a fitness brand ambassador for PT Dan Roberts, so I think it is really important to emphasise healthy eating in the modelling and pageant world.

“I’ve also been doing lots of fundraising for this year’s amazing charity Strongbone’s which helps support children suffering from bone diseases and cancer. Please check them out!

“The competition is about empowering women. I recently went back to an old school where I did a talk in assembly about this.”

For Luissa, now sponsored by Debra Robson Ldn, the glamorous modelling lifestyle began when she was just fourteen years old, after being scouted at the Clothes Show in Birmingham.

“That didn’t end up working out, but it gave me the idea to pursue modelling, which I have done ever since.”

At Nottingham, she managed to combine her modelling aspirations with her Business Management degree (“I’ve always been career minded and I want to run my own business”), but was still partial to the occasional student night out.

“My favourite night out? Market Bar Tuesdays or Thursdays! I love old school hip-hop.”

Most importantly, when asked who would win in the Trent vs. Uni Battle of the Fittest, Luissa came up with the right answer.

“All of the guys look like they could be models themselves! If you ask me any question about Trent vs. Uni of, I’m always going to have to stay true to my roots and say University of Nottingham. Sorry Trent!”

If you’d like to support a very grateful Luissa in the public vote for the Great Britain Miss Universe finals, please text:

GB Luissa to 64343.

Terms and conditions: Votes cost £1 plus standard network charge. Voting lines close at midday June 20th. Voters must be 18 or over and have the bill payers permission and there is a maximum of 20 votes per person per day.