‘Bent over and dry humped’ – Nottingham’s lad culture in SU spotlight

Students’ Union survey asks students to share stories of lad culture

A survey has been launched asking Notts students about their experiences of lad culture.

The survey, which asks students to submit their stories online, will be used to form case studies for future training events on harassment and discrimination.

Created by Nottingham University’s Students’ Union, the survey calls lad culture a “pack mentality” involving heavy drinking and “sexist, misogynist and homophobic” banter.  

Alarmingly, it also says stories may contain molestation and sexual violence.

Biggest Lad, raise your hand

The survey follows a shocking report last year by the National Union of Students’ which found widespread sexual harassment and molestation at university.

Last year also saw a strong backlash against lad culture with the Everyday Sexism ProjectNo More Page 3, and Lose The Lads’ Mags campaigns.

Back at home, UoN’s Feminist society recently held an eye-catching demo at Refreshers’ Fair calling on the students’ union shop to stop selling The Sun.

UoN Feminists have called on the SU shop to ditch The Sun

Hayley Brain, social secretary of Nottingham University’s Women’s Rugby Club, told the Tab: “I think lad culture is a perfectly healthy and fun part of uni life.

“I’m sure most guys would agree with me that males who go round grabbing bums, groping girls and being genuinely sexist aren’t real ‘lads’ at all, just losers.”

Lad culture – a threat to women or just harmless fun?

The Tab spoke to Sarah Hancock, a third year student, about her experience of lad culture. She said:

“Most guys don’t really follow lad culture, but some take it way too far.

“From persistent gropers to being bent over and dry humped, lad culture can be pretty intimidating.”