The Nottingham Tab needs you: Apply now to join the 2024-25 editorial team

Applications close on Wednesday 15th May

The Tab Notts is opening applications for a brand new 2024/25 editorial team. The positions available are: Editor in Chief, Features Editor, News Editor and Social Media Editor. Your time is here to step up and take the reigns as one of the next editors of Nottingham’s BEST student media, read by thousands of students every month.

We welcome applications from all students, journalism experience is not essential as you will receive training from experienced editors and journalists from The Tab HQ. The only requirements are that you are a student at either the University of Nottingham or Nottingham Trent University and have the time in your schedule to attend weekly meetings with your team. Being apart of The Notts Tab is an amazing opportunity, offering invaluable journalism experience that can open many doors.

The deadline for submitting applications is Wednesday 15th May. Don’t miss it!

Editor in Chief

As Editor in Chief you will be responsible for overseeing and running the entire team. You will be leading the direction of coverage, writing your own articles across news, features and experience pieces whilst also commissioning and editing articles from writers. You will also be communicating with The Tab HQ, who will be there to support and assist your with their invaluable journalistic experience.

The role is suited to someone who holds great leadership and teamwork skills, motivated and highly organised. A passion on keeping The Notts Tab on top of all the breaking news and ensuring that all the team are motivated and working on something new so that The Tab Notts is as good as it can be. The role is greatly rewarding and a great opportunity to get involved leading a team.

You’ll be working on stories like these: 

• Nottingham University students occupy Trent Building in protest of arms manufacturers

Nottingham student sentenced for involvement in Depop designer clothing scam

• Notts PRYZM staff told ‘jobs were safe’ then informed of club closure through group chat

News Editor

As News Editor you will be responsible for keeping your ear to the ground in finding out all the latest news scopes in and around Nottingham. News is incredibly fast-paced so when a story surfaces you need to have the ability to work efficiently and quickly.

You will lead the news content for The Notts Tab, writing weekly and supporting the Editor in Chief by editing articles.

Uni of Nottingham will lower entry grade requirements for international students

Police asks local press not to publish details on Nottingham attacks during investigation

Ambulances on the scene as car crashes and overturns on Derby Road

Features Editor

You will be responsible for writing and editing our amazing feature pieces. You should have a strong idea of what you would like the features section of The Notts Tab to look like and where you aim to take it.

The role will give you the opportunity to be witty, educational, opinionated and creative in your writing. It’s important you know what’s relevant, interesting and funny to the specific Notts student audience. You will bring article ideas to the meeting and help writers develop their own.

You’ll be working on stories just like these: 

• From nightlife to natural beauty: This is what Notts students love most about the city

Your ultimate guide to the best post-library pint spots in Notts

If you have these 10 things in your winter wardrobe then you’re definitely a Notts student

Social Media Editor

This will be an amazing opportunity if you want to work in today’s growing world of social media where you will be responsible for The Notts Tab’s digital brand and growing our student reach.

You will be managing The Notts Tab’s social media channels across Instagram, Facebook and Twitter whilst working alongside the TikTok editor creating content together. If you’ve got a talent for creating your own memes that are relevant to Nottingham and its student lifestyle, want to promote a brand image or just love scrolling all day, this one’s for you. Your responsibilities will include advertising our articles, posting regular daily content on our stories, sharing memes, growing your audience and keeping our followers engaged.

You will also support the editorial team in keeping an eye out for Nottingham related content and watching out for the latest news and campus gossip. This role does not include editing articles, but you are welcome to commission and edit articles.

You’ll be making posts like these:

Think you’ve got what it takes?

If you want to apply for any of the advertised roles, please fill out this Google form: 

The application deadline is Wednesday 15th May 2024, with successful applicants to be informed via email or on Instagram.

Stop what you’re doing and vote now in round one of the Notts ultimate BNOC competition

Here’s what your favourite night out says about you as a Notts student 

From player layers to sports night: Five reasons you should join a UoN sports team