Concrete Memes admin speaks out

Forget batman, this is the hero UEA needs

One of the admins has come forward to give the fans insight into the genius behind a meme page which has become part of a national trend of university campus memes. The Facebook page “Concrete Memes for UEA Teens” has brought together fans in a wave of pure happiness and united the university community through the power of UEA-culturally reflective memes. The wonderful admin has chosen to remain anonymous, but like the caped crusader, it only adds to their mystique and legendary status. Who knows, they may be more than human…

They did express pride in the memes, and attacked other lesser uni meme pages as being of “a lower quality”. Concrete Memes possesses less memes, but put quality before quantity, much like the regularity of Game of Thrones.

These memes have power a lot less Mr Brightside since this bad boy was released, I hope the DJ didn’t cry.

Campus meme pages began at the Oxbridge universities, with several being launched in September and October 2016. However, in November, Concrete Memes was launched, and refined the campus-meme page idea to perfection. The admin modestly explained they were “joint-pioneers” of a craze which has subsequently spread the nation, instilling a sense of community across campuses fitting for the digital world.

The admin gave us a run-down of their favourite UEA-based memes. They said that the meme below, featuring White House press secretary Sean Spicer, was “inspired by my own experiences and I do love me [sic] a cheeky political reference”.

This is the admin’s 3rd favourite meme, a true beauty and topical as ever

The memes enhance a sense of community by reflecting the thoughts, feelings and developments on the dynamic campus they are produced for. A case in point is the admin’s 2nd favourite meme, a piece which encapsulates the underlying volatile rivalry between UEA and the University of Essex. The anonymous creator said that they are proud of this meme because “it is a reminder of our great triumph”.

The meme maker made it clear that they are not “doing self-promotion as we refuse to sell-out”. After attempts by a certain Norwich club to purchase the page, the creator said they are not in it for the money, rather the pure enjoyment of making memes that embody UEA life. They also want to “stay out of politics” and stay neutral, which aids in being able to reflect thoughts and feelings of the widest spread of demographics possible. However, a criticism of controversial measures introduced by uea|su does subtly shine through, with the admin they explaining that they have a “semi-political one on Tibet coming up”.

The admin told me that their favourite meme to be published on the page is a meme which reflects the authentic heart of campus life, saying “this meme was number one because it celebrates the LCR we all know and love”. He’s right – is there a better advertisement for the “clubbing capital of Europe”, located in Norwich?

Not really much of a surprise that number 1 was going to be about the LCR

The meme master finished by saying that “we are accepting submissions”, so come forth with everything and anything. They also said “thanks for your support”, and that they have many more memes to come…

Concrete Memes for UEA Teens is on Facebook – go like it.