Norwich Nifflers aim to take the snitch in UK cup

“It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to our enemies” – Dumbledore

UEA are earning their place on the map of the wizarding world, after earning their place to participate in the British Quidditch Cup next month. UEA’s muggles/players will have the chance to face off against 31 other teams from around the country.

The team’s emblem and mascot, the niffler, is a fictional animal with a long snout and is attracted to shiny things. The niffler species is renowned for being able to find treasure which inevitably foreshadows UEA’s quest for gold.

Norwich Nifflers emblem

The real life game, inspired by the Harry Potter series, is a mixed gender sport, but instead of flying the players’ feet remain within the realms of gravity and the athletes run around on PVC pipes – the brooms of the 21st century.

The game is quite simple to play. It is up to the beaters to use bludgers (in the real world dodgeballs) to “knock” chasers of their brooms. The chasers have to try and dodge such risks and make it unharmed to the defender’s hoops and score by throwing their netballs through the opposition’s hoops. With sneaky moves such as the always effective “troll in the dungeon”, UEA’s team surely will be able to one-up anything the opposition can throw at them. Unless this happens to be a Hungarian Horntail.

Catching the snitch is the way a game comes to an end when a neutral player’s tag is pulled from them. This person is usually the fittest person on the field and is easier said than done.

UEA’s muggle quidditch players will join 31 other teams at the British Quidditch Cup in Rugeley between March 11-12 where they’ll battle to be crowned UK champions.

Emma Jones, captain of the Norwich Nifflers, said: “I am extremely proud of all my Nifflers for securing us a place at British Quidditch Cup! We have worked hard to get here, and are working even harder to show what we’re really made of.

“At the end of the day, if everyone comes off the pitch with a smile on their face, that’s what it’s all about for us.”