What makes you swipe left or right on Tinder?

To the left to the left

If you’re single, you’ve probably used it. If you’re happily coupled up, you’ve probably helped your single friends swipe through the endless stream of desirable – and not so desirable – potential dates. Either way, no university student escapes Tinder.

But how on earth are you meant to create the perfect Tinder profile (right-swipeable obvs) to lure in your soul mate? We asked the students of UEA what makes them swipe left or right in order to give you some tips.

George, second year, Chemistry 

Left – “I usually swipe left if I’m in a bad mood or if I’m feeling confident and think I can do better.”

Right – “If they’re fit I guess.”

Tom, first year, American Literature 

Left – “I hate it when the girls picture is too posey.”

Right – “The complete opposite, I like a nice natural picture.”

Alex, second year, History and Politics 

Left – “I cannot emphasise how important that first picture is. I will not swipe right for a group picture, oh my god one time I had to swipe left for a girl that had her dog as her picture I was just like nope.”

Right – “Sometimes I just swipe right 100 times to see what happens but usually it really is about that first impression picture.”

Alex, second year, Biology 

Left – “Nose rings. If they don’t have a profile picture or anything in their bio, just shows lack of personality really.”

Right – “Good looks and massive ‘personalities’.”

Abi, second year, International Development

Left – “A group picture or if they have the dog snap chat filter – no thank you.”

Right – “If they have that they’re a christian in their bio.”

Ellie, second year, Languages 

Left – “No shirtless pictures oh god, or mirror selfies, and definitely no piercings.”

Right – “Dogs, army pictures and a good butt picture.”

Amber, second year, International Development 

Left – “When boys have photos with other girls or with their nan – I think that’s so weird.”

Right – “I like it when they have nice teeth and are wearing glasses and a nice outfit. They have to be smiling, no posing.”

Izzy, first year, Philosophy 

Left – “If I don’t find them attractive. A chest shot with no face is the worst and if they have a shady bio.”

Right – “If they sound interesting and look fit.”