Girl Power!

Celebrate International Women’s Day at UEA!

feminism international womens day lcr uea feminism

The world is celebrating the fairer sex this week and campus is no exception.

UEA’s International Women’s Day (Thursday March 7) will see both students and staff coming together to educate and entertain in the LCR and in Blue Bar.

The daytime events will centre on a team of UEA lecturers giving a talk in the LCR on topics ranging from ‘Women and Art’ to ‘I’m fit, I’m flirty and I’ve got FFs: Women and sexuality on TV’.

There will also be chance to quiz the newly-elected Women’s Officer about her plans to improve women’s time at UEA.

Blue Bar will play host to the evening’s activities, including a night of poetry, comedy, drama and music performed by women, with many of the acts being homegrown at UEA.

Is Geordie Shore’s Holly your role model?

For those who missed the Vagina Monologues last month, the cast will also be reuniting for a one-off performance.

The Tab is most excited about the badges that will be on sale, including one of universal hero Beyoncé.

While campus is generally a safe and inclusive place, many believe we still have work to do to achieve equality for women, both at UEA and globally.

Hattie Grunewald, event organiser, told The Tab: “It’s important to raise awareness of women’s issues at UEA, both to celebrate and empower women but also examine the things we still need to do.

“The day will be fun, interesting and enlightening. We have a good variety of speakers and performers and best of all it’s totally free!”