UEA Sport Update

A round-up of news from the sporting world of UEA.

A round up of sporting news, last week’s BUCS results and the opportunities on offer next summer.

The first edition of Sportswire aired last Saturday on Livewire1350. Tune in to get all the university sporting updates you need. You never know, these guys might just be Martin Tylers in the making. Who would have thought it, the man whose voice most men hear on FIFA 13 more than their own girlfriend’s is a UEA graduate.

Martin Tyler, the voice of UEA

It wasn’t a bad showing from UEA’s teams last Wednesday. There were some notable BUCS results on home soil and emphasis may be on picking up victories at home for many of the teams this year. Both the footballing 1sts and 2nds came out on top against Derby and Nottingham. Elsewhere the Lacrosse 1sts stormed to a 33-0 win over Warwick and the Table Tennis 1sts eased past Oxford Men’s 1sts 16-1.

While home form appears strong, of all the teams on their travels only the UEA Men’s Squash 1sts could muster a victory. Men’s tennis 1sts faced a stern test against Loughborough 2nds and were comprehensively beaten 0-12. In a closer encounter the Women’s Fencing 1sts narrowly lost to Warwick Men’s 1sts 117-121 and can take encouragement going into their next fixture.

The Norfolk County FA run six-a-side league got going this Sunday. There’s still time to register a team and application forms can be picked up at the Sportspark. The league provides qualified referees and you’ll be playing on the new 3G pitches available. The fixtures are forty minutes long and £15 a week. Split between six or seven of you it’s a cheap opportunity to play with your friends and work off the weekend hangover.

If you’re taking part in the Ziggurat challenge, this Tuesday is the men’s five-a-side football. All abilities are welcome.

He’ll be there

For all those sport’s teams heading down to Lola’s this Wednesday, they’ve got a real a-list treat in store. Mario from TOWIE is making an appearance (so good of him), all the more reason to get your dancing shoes on…

For those interested in climbing sports and fulfilling experiences don’t miss the UEA RAG meetings on Tuesday 23 October – 1:15 and 4:15 @ Room 1:33, Union House and Wednesday 24 October – 5:15 and 7:15 @ Bill Wilson Room, Union House. UEA RAG are planning an expedition to climb Everest next summer and anyone is welcome to come along.

A reminder also that Camp America is now open to applications. If climbing Everest isn’t your cup of tea this might be, especially for those interested in American sports. If you want a first hand opinion Rachel Moss offers her insight for The Tab.