Northumbria students’ business hauls in 100k

Are these the most eligible bachelors in Newcastle?

A far cry from being in their overdrafts come mid October, two money savvy Northumbria students have launched a hugely successful holiday business through the university.

Deciding against the student norm of crappy bar work, Ben Trattles, Warren Pearson and Harley Gibb’s brain child “Summer Takeover” is a business that offers holiday packages to students looking to work abroad.

Clearly the lads hit their target market of Gap-yahh wannabes as they raked in excess of 100k in their first year of business.

Ben Trattles

On the Summer Takeover site wanderlusters can land a job, accommodation and advice from experienced travelers. The boys also decided to include an offer of an induction week once adventure seekers were out there to help them settle in to their new, party package environment.

The business came to be after Ben and friends completed the most successful placement to date in Northumbria University. The Enterprise placement is offered by Northumbria and invites those ballsy enough to grow and test their own business in a safe environment.

Warren Pearson

With access to a personal business mentor, support from the uni’s Enterprise team and free office space, Business and Marketing student Ben quickly spotted a gap in the market for working holiday packages after looking for one himself.

Ben said: “The main reason businesses and other student start-ups struggle to launch is a lack of resources, but Northumbria University’s Enterprise placement year enables its students to test and grow their business in a supportive environment.

“We received invaluable advice and services such as free marketing and legal mentoring, which meant we were able to create a professional and well thought out business model.

“I can honestly say that we wouldn’t be where we are today without the help of the University, both from the skills gained from our courses and the support they have given us to get Summer Takeover off the ground.”

The ladz

Summer Takeover’s working holiday packages sold out over this year’s infamous ‘Spring break’ season as well as over summer and the madness is set to stick around for peak times at the end of semesters.

They are now looking to the future with a focus on increasing market share and consolidating their position in their five current resorts; Ibiza, Magaluf, Ayia Napa, Malia and Zante with plans to expand to more destinations in the future.

The placement has successfully created three jobs for founder Ben, and partners Warren and Harley, who will continue full time when they graduate in 2015.