Manchester Uni ‘plans to remove automatic extensions pledge’

The SU says: ‘We do not believe it is in the best interests of students’

The University of Manchester is planning to end the automatic extensions introduced in their assessment pledge last year.

Last year students could choose to have an automatic extension of seven days for two individual assignments or pieces of coursework.

The measures were part of an assessment pledge negotiated by the SU to ensure students were supported throughout the pandemic.

However, statements from the SU General Secretary, Melody Stephen, Education Officer, Miguel Gonzalez-Valdes Tejero and Postgraduate Officer, Julia Gerda Sokk, claim the university has now decided to remove this support.

Melody said: “We are against the changes as it means that some students, especially in the humanities who have to wait almost three weeks for mitigating circumstances responses, will likely suffer more.”

Melody continued: “We are not confident the university can guarantee a five day return of mitigating circumstances in the school of humanities. After a year of trauma and huge stress on students, we do not believe it is in the best interests of students to remove automatic extensions.”

The SU officers are encouraging students to fill in their assessment pledge petition form to help oppose the change.

A University spokesperson said: “We are committed to working constructively and collaboratively with the Students’ Union on support for our students with assessments this year, and will be providing further detail to our students and staff later this week.”