Manc student house given closure order after throwing 70-person house party

It is now a criminal offence for any visitors to enter the property

A Manchester student house has been issued with a three month closure order after “persistently” breaching Covid-19 regulations.

It is now a criminal offence for any visitors to enter the property, the BBC reports.

The Fallowfield house has been banned from receiving any visitors other than the emergency services or any parties acting on behalf of the landlord.

The order imposed at Manchester Magistrates’ Court comes after the student house had a party of between 70-80 people in September, when no household mixing was allowed in Manchester.

The organiser was given a £200 fixed penalty notice and a noise abatement notice was issued after complaints from neighbours. A police officer also visited the house and warned them about the possibility of a closure order.

Officers were called to the same property on November 14th after neighbours reported another “big party”.

They arrived at 7.50am to find the party still going, with four of the five people there not tenants of the property. All them were fined. Manchester City Council then applied for a closure order, granted at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court last week.

A total of 185 fixed penalty notices have been given to Manchester students for breaches of Covid restrictions.

183 letters had been sent to student households alleged to have breached restrictions, and a further 16 visits have been made to properties where a second breach had been reported since September.

Councillor Nigel Murphy, deputy leader of Manchester City Council, said that whilst the “overwhelming majority” of students had abided by Covid-19 regulations, some “haven’t taken the guidelines seriously”.

He expressed his “sympathy” with “students whose university experience has been impacted by Covid”, but that there was “no excuse for the incredibly reckless behaviour we have seen in this situation.”

Nigel Murphy said: “It is important that all residents know that there can be serious repercussions if they breach Covid restrictions.”

Superintendent Richard Timson, student safe lead for GMP, said: “This year has been an incredibly challenging time for all of us, particularly for students, many of whom have moved away from their family and friends; however, the Government’s Covid-19 restrictions have been put in place to prevent the spread of the virus and to protect the public’s health.

“Unfortunately in a small number of cases, despite the significant engagement work that the Student Safe partnership has undertaken, we have had no choice but to issue fines to those who have showed a blatant disregard for the regulations.

“Over the coming months, it’s important that the partnership continue to work together to ensure students receive the appropriate level of support, and are also aware of the latest guidelines by providing clear information and advice on the health risks and the implications of social gatherings.”