London students set their flat on fire after turning a toaster on its side trying to make a toastie

We’ve all thought of trying it

London students set their flat on fire after attempting to make a cheese toastie in a toaster by turning the appliance on its side.

First year halls are unique places of culinary experimentation – mainly pushing the boundaries of what you can make in a microwave. This week, students at the University of Greenwich branched out to the toaster, but the results were disastrous. 

25 firefighters and four fire engines were called to the ground floor flat in Avery Hill campus’ student village at about 10:40 on Monday morning, where students had started a fire by placing their toaster on its side.

The students had put cheese and bread in to a toaster before leaving it on its side to “cook” a toastie. The toaster was then left attended where the fire then broke out. 

The firefighters from four different stations including Sidcup, Bexley, East Greenwich and Lee Green has the fire under control by 11:18 but not before it had destroyed most of the students’ kitchen, though no injuries have been reported.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The fire started after a resident placed a toaster on its side and inserted bread and cheese. They then left it cooking unattended.

“Only use electrical products for their designated use. Toasters need to be kept clean to prevent fires and are not designed to be used on their side. Not only does it generate heat onto the work surface but the dry left-over crumbs from the bottom of the toaster can get onto the hot elements and ignite.

“It’s also really important that you always check toasters and other appliances are turned off and unplugged when not in use, unless they’re designed to be left on, like your fridge or freezer.

“Keep clutter to a minimum on your kitchen work surfaces especially near toasters and hobs as they can accidentally switch them on or catch fire.”

Featured images via @LondonFire on Twitter.

A UCL student has done what we’ve all considered and brought a bottle of whisky to a lecture

• London universities warn against cheating on assessments with AI chatbots

• Rishi Sunak surprised UCL students with visit during donation drive for earthquake relief