Not that we needed telling, but London has ranked as the best city in the world for 2023

Still bloody expensive though

London has ranked as the best city in the whole entire world for 2023.

If you’ve ever been to London, especially if you live here, then you might be confused by this one. London is a lot: It’s smelly, it’s dirty, it’s outrageously and inexcusably expensive whilst the whole country is battling a cost of living crisis, and it’s home to a Conservative government. But say what you want about London, you cannot deny that it does have a certain charm about it, a “je ne sais quoi” if you will.

And now that certain something about London that sees hundreds of thousands of people visit, and even move to, the city every year has been recognised globally with it ranking as the best city in the world for 2023 by World’s Best Cities. London was closely followed by Paris and New York which ranked second and third respectively, all worthy candidates of the title.

In the ranking carried out by real estate and tourism consultancy firm Resonance, six different factors were analysed including place, product, programming, people, prosperity and promotion. London came out top in the promotions category, with its residents and visitors producing the most Instagram hashtags, Facebook check-ins and TripAdvisor reviews.

So when the gap yah girlies at your uni inevitably start going on again for the thousandth time about how you really must visit South East Asia because it’s the best place ever, send them this article in the hope that they may shut up.

A UCL law student has been recognised in the King’s New Year Honours list

• Renting experiences in London are outrageous, and these tweets show just that

•  ‘It’s heartbreaking’: Afghan activist and LSE grad on the Taliban’s university ban for women