A UCL law student has been recognised in the King’s New Year Honours list

Zakaria Dada was awarded a British Empire Medal for his community efforts during Covid-19

A law student at UCL has been recognised in the King’s New Years Honours list.

Zakaria Dada was awarded a British Empire Medial for his contribution to the community during Covid-19 by setting up a group to help vulnerable people in his local area.

The final year student started Merton Mutual Aid at the start of the pandemic in 2020 to help those in need in the South London borough of Merton in receiving their prescriptions and food drop offs. The group, which is entirely run by volunteers, reached 1,000 members in its first three days.

Zak is now in his final year, studying Law at UCL, but was still completing his sixth form studies at the time the group was set up.

Speaking to Legal Cheek, Zak said: “It was a great honour to receive the medal. Whilst appreciation and honour weren’t on my mind when I started the organisation, it is very much appreciated and I want to share this honour with all the amazing volunteers in Merton who assisted the organisation.”

The British Empire Medal is exclusively awarded to individuals who have given back to the community in some way and it allows the bearer to use BME at the end of their name.

Featured images via Twitter.

Renting experiences in London are outrageous, and these tweets show just that

•  ‘It’s heartbreaking’: Afghan activist and LSE grad on the Taliban’s university ban for women

All the charitable events UCL sports teams have done last term