Every society a UCL fresher should join

It’s not too late

Last weekend’s freshers fair was typically overwhelming and countless clubs and societies were vying for the attention of unwitting freshers. To aid in the navigation of the UCLU society directory, we’ve put together a list of societies that you should join this year at UCL; based on prestige, popularity and previous successes.

In their own words, here’s all you need to know:

Career-boosting Societies

Traditionally the Economics and Finance Society has been the forerunner in boosting finance-worker wannabee’s future careers, however the past couple of years have seen the rise of the competing Investment Society. We couldn’t decide so here’s both:

Economics and Finance Society

Welcome to EFS! UCL’s largest and most exciting Society. We’re here on campus as your gateway to a dream career in Finance, Business, Entrepreneurship, Consultancy and more. We have links to all major firms throughout these industries, which allows us to provide unrivalled Career events, Workshops and Networking sessions, as well as talks by Nobel Laureates and renowned CEOs, to help you put your ambition in the right direction.

But, we also know how to have fun. Join us during Freshers week for Pub Crawls, Beer Pong and other social activities, and throughout the year at our flagship events including the EFS Christmas Ball and our Reading Week Trip to Prague!

Even their Christmas Ball involves money

To find out more, visit their Facebook Page.

Investment Society

UCLIS is best known for putting on the signature UCL Finance Conference, which attracts world class industry professionals from leading institutions and delegates from across the world.

They’re on a mission to be your personal guide to a career in investment banking, asset management and alternative investments. They have the ability to have members go “0 to 100 real quick” and that is why they have launched the Fresher’s Mentorship Programme to get you that must-have Spring Week during your first year. They also run the Equities Investment Challenge, giving you an opportunity to test your market knowledge.

As a founder of the UCL Guild, the 5 society powerhouse, they live by the motto “work hard play hard.” Join them at the beginning of term for the massive UCL Guild boat party or catch them during the notorious Mahiki Social nights during the year.

UCL’s finest talents all in one room

Most Social Society – Snowsports

What could be more social than over 500 students partying together in the Alps every year? Nothing, welcome to Snowsports, UCL’s largest sports society.

With opportunities such as training, competing, a weekend away in Edinburgh, and for non-skiers/snowboarders chances to help out with organising the trip, there’s something here for everyone. And make sure not to miss this year’s Winter Snowball, one of the many events the society hosts throughout the year – last year’s trip launch party was held at the famous Mayfair club Bodo Schloss.

This year’s ski trip will be running over NYE – and Snowsports have some pretty big plans. But grab your tickets quick for this one as they have sold out in a matter of hours in recent years.

You don’t have to be a pro skier or snowboarder to get involved in this one, as long as you are interested in mountains, love après ski and go by the informal motto ‘snow, sex and suspicious unions.’, this society is the one for you.

For updates of events, fresher’s rep opportunities and more information of this year’s trip visit their Facebook page.

Snow, drinks, more snow… what’s not to like?

Men’s Sport – Rugby

It’d be awfully easy to think that after winning a national prize of excellence, that the rugby club is just a bunch of high performance athletes doing their bit for charities and the local community. However the lists of perks to add to these is longer than the IMDB of infamous French actor Jacque Russelle.

“With weekly matches for players of all abilities, followed by socials including but not limited to; Pin the tail on the Badge, Find Matt a wife and intra-club nights requiring a can do attitude, duct tape and a hunger for exotic cuisine (netball girls and curry), you can hardly be surprised that our charity boat ball is the pinnacle of the Bloomsbury social calendar.”

With welcome trials starting 5th October and the Middlesex 10’s tournament looming before the BUCS season begins, it’s time for the players to pull out the boots and the socialites to pull… Pints.

If you get past the trials you’ll even get to wear a blazer at Sports Night

Women’s Sport – Football

Whether you have been playing football your whole life, or just starting now, UCLU Women’s Football Club will always welcome you with open arms. With four different teams, they accommodate all football enthusiasts!

“Whilst you might be excited about training with us and perhaps competing against other university teams in matches, you should definitely know that you won’t get bored! Between socials, volunteering opportunities and an amazing community, prepare yourself for some good times and great friendships.”

Might we add they just won ‘Volunteering Club of the Year’ two years in a row? Check out their Facebook page here.

These girls only win

Best Value for Money – UCLU Yoga and Meditation Society

UCLU Yoga and Meditation Society has grown slowly over the past few years to become one of the largest societies. They’ve expanded to the point where they now hold 9 classes per week! The society has also started going on large retreats at different points in the year.

“This last year we went to Norfolk for a weekend retreat in second term and then spent a whole week on retreat in Sicily. The year before that we had a weeks retreat in Iceland which was a truly amazing trip!”

Classes during trying fortnight are free to attend, and after join as a member for £25 per year and enjoy up to 9 classes a week for all 3 terms. That’s less than 10p per class if you went to each one. If you want to find out more about the society and their Term 1 retreat, check out their Facebook page.

Can’t keep his mats to himself

Women-focused – Leading Women

Like other women-focused societies Leading Women offers career-building events (CV workshops, interview skills, focused events) and have many high-profiled sponsors such as JP Morgan and PwC. However, where Leading Women stands out is how it is branching out this year:

“As well as catering to ‘leading women’ in the corporate world, we are also catering to students interested in creative careers and careers in STEM. We have a tonne of amazing speakers lined up from film, fashion, art, advertising, tech, journalism, performance, academia – literally you name it, we have or will try to organise a speaker from that industry.”

And don’t think that this society is limited to women only – they have a man on the committee for this year! So keep your eyes peeled for fresher’s socials such as cocktail tasting, martial arts, spinning classes and yoga.

The One to Watch – Mixology

Are you one of those that drinks alcohol at University? One of those your mother warned you about? Well the Mixology Society launches at UCL this year and by golly is going to be huge.

If you’re into booze of any kind – these guys have got you sorted. Cocktail crawls; happy-hour tips; competitions to win house party packs; cocktail making sessions; product tastings; quiz nights; cocktail competitions; bar discounts and more. We even heard they are planning to run a university wide beer pong championship.

Even if you don’t go to the events, you get your money’s worth with all the perks and discounts these guys are throwing at their members. And if you’re legitimately into making cocktails – for the cocktail novices: basic cocktail sessions. And for you skilled cocktail makers, look forward to sponsored cocktail making competitions.

This is surely going to be a staple in your uni-week from now.

It’s less of a “society” and more of a “no brainer”

Good luck with the rest of them!