ANOTHER CEILING COLLAPSE at UCL Hall of Residence

This is the second time in two weeks

On Tuesday Night a ceiling collapsed in Langton Close- a UCL Hall of Residence. The cause of the collapse has been attributed to a leak within the structure that had been reported to have been ‘fixed’. Luckily no one has been harmed.

This is not the first collapse caused by a water leakage at a UCL residence. Two weeks ago, rot caused a ceiling to collapse in a bedroom at Campbell House. Although the occupant of the room has demanded a refund, this has since been refused by head of UCL Student Accommodation, Duncan Palmer.

The collapse at Langton Close has led water to drip through the ceiling and onto the carpet below. A leak had been reported to UCL at the start of the Spring term, UCL had responded by placing a bucket underneath for collecting drips as well as replacing the ceiling tiles.

First year Arts and Sciences student Larissa who discovered that the ceiling had collapsed late on Tuesday has said that it is not uncommon for buckets to be used to catch drips at Langton Close, where residents pay £165 per week.

The collapse happened at UCL’s Langton Close

Larissa has told The Tab

To an extent, it is their [UCL’s] fault. I can’t help but think that if all of the profit made from our rent payments was reinvested in improving the integrity of the building then this, and the two floods and room change that I previously experienced would never have happened.
It’s an old building with a lot of structural issues that can’t be fixed with the click of a finger, but that is absolutely no excuse when it comes to the wellbeing and safety of the residents that are paying £160 a week to be here.
Larissa has since asked UCL Cut the Rent Campaign to help her in making  an official complaint.