Snow Sports’ High Hopes on the Slopes

UCLU Snow Sports impress in Kings League slam showdown

fun Halloween Kings Slalom League Portsmouth University Snow Sports snowsports sport ucl UCLU
“UCL? …this’ll be easy” – not so. Brentwood Ski centre played host to this years Kings League slalom competition, a first for UCLU Snow Sports who were eager to cement their name on the dry slopes of Great Britain, against accomplished opposition. Adorned in the finest Halloween attire (costumes including an owl, a gypsy and the imperative random costume of a baby-sweetcorn) the team made their way out onto the slope. Visible from the bottom of the slope as a multicoloured myriad of animals and vegetables, UCL prepared for the battle.
As heat one of the dual-slalom commenced the firsts powered their way to victory under the helm of captain Millie Rhead, vying for the honour of being the most determined pumpkin to have ever skied Brentwood. Amanda ‘All-Star’ Alldridge finished the dual to bewildered sighs of ‘so much aggression’ and ‘sh****t’.
It was then the turn of the seconds to hit the slopes. The costumes proved tactically astute as well as being simply adorable when several teams were clearly distracted by the sight of Connor Cummings elegantly weaving his way down the course as a baby sweetcorn. It’s fair to say that Portsmouth University were less than happy when the seconds stole a victory through disqualification, despite having been disqualified themselves. A proud day for snow sports all round.
A last minute entry from the boarders saw initial teething problems on the difficult course but there was a marked improvement as the competition progressed. This team, having never competed on a dry slope before, is surely one to watch for the future.
As the sun went in, the beers came out as UCL saw vast improvements in both technique and determination. A hugely enjoyable day; coming third in the women’s team event, our men’s first team winning five out of their six races and winning best fancy dress to boot.