‘Please don’t suffer in silence’: Liverpool Guild VP on the student cost of living crisis

One student has said they only have £50 to live on for the next three months

The University of Liverpool Guild of Students Vice President Ella Hatch has commented regarding the student cost of living crisis whereby one student has claimed that they have £50 to live off for the next three months.

The Vice President said:”We the UoL Student Officers know the government and the university aren’t doing enough, but what the uni has done is triple the hardship fund. So if you are struggling financially, like this student, please please don’t suffer in silence and access the support available”

They continued saying: “If you want independent financial advice including help in applying for the fund you can speak to one of the guild advisors by booking an appointment with ‘guildadvice@[email protected]’ or coming to a drop in from 1pm-4pm Monday to Friday”

At the start of October, the Guild of Students released a statement regarding the cost of living crisis which outlined how students could access the support which is now available to them, this included the Guild’s short-term emergency loan, the University of Liverpool hardship fund, information about UoL scholarships and bursaries and how to contact a Money Advice and Guidance Advisor. Details of how to access this support can be found here.

Whilst we are in the midst of a cost of living crisis, alongside how expensive being a student already is, it is vital that there are the correct resources for students to access. If you feel as though you are struggling with your mental health you can find information about local support in Liverpool here, click here for the Samaritans helpline and for advice on how to look after your mental health during the cost of living crisis click here.