UCU strike dates announced for early December

If the strikers demands are not met there may be more ‘sustained disruption’

Earlier today the University and College Union (UCU) announced that strikes would take place this term from the 1st-3rd of December this year. The website indicates that if the striker’s demands are not yet there may be more “sustained disruption.”

58 Universities including The University of Liverpool will see strikes over both pay and pension disputes.

The University of Liverpool, along with 33 other universities will be striking over both issues, whilst 21 will be disputing pay only.

UCU has also said it intends to reballot a number of branches that missed the 50 percent turnout threshold imposed by Tory anti-trade union laws. According to the UCU statement, the three-day strike will just be the start of sustained disruption if employers fail to negotiate.

This comes after The University of Liverpool’s ongoing dispute over staff redundancies, recently threatening a five-day strike in September, which was called off after the University claimed that no compulsory redundancies would be made.

You can see the full list of universities involved in the strike here