University Square is launching a Speaker’s Corner

It’s happening today

alex ferguson liverpool politics politics society Speakers corner university of liverpool

The Liverpool Guild of Students are designating an area outside the Guild where open-air public speaking will be encouraged. The University’s Vice-Chancellor, Janet Beer, will be unveiling the new podium on Wednesday 9th March at 1:30pm.

Resembling Hyde Park’s infamous Speaker’s Corner, which was attended by the likes of George Orwell and Karl Marx, the Politics Society have campaigned for the initiative to promote free speech and debate on campus.

The one and only Alex Ferguson, testing out the podium. Image taken from Liverpool Guild of Students’ website

According to Nick Hobbs, a third year Politics student who helped set up the Speaker’s Corner, “Free speech is essential in any society. Recently, students are suffering as a result of the government decisions and therefore we need a platform to ensure our voice is heard.

“A speakers corner is part of this platform and it makes sense that we have one on our campus where we can express ourselves. University square is the heart of campus so it’s quite right that it is located there.”

Initially, the Speakers Corner podium will be portable. Students can book it for indoor or outdoor use via the Guild’s website. Once established, the Politics society are hoping to make the corner a permanent space to avoid this ‘indirect’ regulation, which Hyde Park’s Speakers Corner does not have.

The Student Representative Officer (SRO) candidates will also be present at the launch, each giving one-minute speeches to outline their priorities and plans. Students, academics and societies are welcome to attend the event. The deputy mayor of Liverpool has been invited but her attendance has not been confirmed.