The Athena Appeal: Pooch seeks loving family

Please find this puppy a home

adoption puppy rescue dog student pets

While some may think that October is too early to be house hunting, Athena knows that she needs to move out soon.

The five month old terrier-cross is looking for a permanent new home.

How could you resist this face?

Athena currently lives with four third-year Zoologists who can no longer give her the time and attention she desperately needs.

Exotic Athena was born in Greece and found by Becky who was working on a turtle conservation project there.

Aged 8-10 weeks, she weighed just 2kg when she was heard crying underneath an outbuilding.

Tiny Athena in Greece

Becky said: “She was covered in fleas and was anaemic from all of the bites.

“All of the local shelters were overcrowded and a tiny puppy would not have fared well. There was no way I could have left her there.”

Vet bills and flights came to £700, half of which was raised through donations and the rest was donated by the Greek Animal Rescue charity.

She arrived in England in August and has been living at Garmoyle Road ever since.

Sorry Athena, only writers get tshirts

All of the housemates agree that Athena would make an excellent pet for people with a little more time to spend with her.

The pup constantly wants to play and loves stealing socks, playing tug of war with them and going for walks.

She’ll even keep your bed warm when you go out

Becky admits that her degree is suffering due to the constant distraction of an energetic puppy but confesses: “I don’t want to think about her going.

“It’s going to kill me. I’ve been her mum since she was two months old.”

Housemate Joe says that his favourite times with Athena are Saturday evenings which they spend curled up watching Casualty.

Other than that she rarely has time for television, preferring to stand between you and the screen until you decide to play.

Joe and his tart

Athena adores exercise and meeting other dogs. She is super-friendly and rarely barks.

Becky tells us that Athena is the smartest dog she knows. “She learnt to sit within three days of being here.”

She is mostly housetrained and can be left for a couple of hours at a time.

Stylish raybones

Becky tells us cuddling Athena is the perfect hangover cure and she will even help clear up leftover takeaway, preferring Chesters to Khans.

Changed my mind, I’m keeping her

Other efforts to re-home her have so far been unsuccessful so we are appealing to our readers to share this article and help her to find a family.

Please get in touch with [email protected] if you would like more information or think you could offer Athena a home.

Getting a taste for journalism