Liverpool students launch day of events to remember genocide

UoL students inspired to commemorate 20 years since the Rwandan Genocide with a weekend of activities

aegis trust Bombed out Church bombed out church liverpool rwanda rwandan genocide st lukes st lukes church st lukes church liverpool st lukes liverpool

Liverpool’s Uni’s Aegis Trust Society is planning a day of events to commemorate 20 years since the Rwandan Genocide.

The Aegis Trust is a campaign group dedicated to preventing genocide worldwide, and is gearing up for a nationwide campaign this weekend to remember the Rwandan atrocities – which claimed over 1,000,000 lives in a matter of months.

The society’s branch at Liverpool was set up by Hannah Larn and Becky Garnault in September, after hearing Mukesh Kapila, a lifelong activist for humanitarian causes, speak about the Trust.

The Society’s come on a lot in a matter of months – they’ve even snagged a Guild Award nomination (an honour that The Tab was ineligible for – we’re not bitter though).

Will Saville and Elin Williams, two of the organisers of this weekend’s event

The Kwibuka 20 commemorations (Kwibuka means ‘remember’ in Kinyarwanda, the native language of Rwanda) take place in Liverpool on Saturday 10th May, and are part of a global effort to remember the victims of the genocide, and to celebrate the progress that nation had made since

The ‘Walk to Remember Rwanda’ begins at 4:30PM, and will take a route around the city from the Anglican Cathedral, ending at the Bombed Out Church.

The Walk to Remember Rwanda ends at the Bombed Out Church

The church will then play host to a number of celebrations – including the classic raffle, a screening of Ghost of Rwanda, a 2005 documentary about the genocide, and an opportunity to win prizes like restaurant vouchers, booze, and one of Aloha’s notorious treasure chests.

All of the day’s commemorations are free, and they’re for a great cause, so make an effort to go along – just remember your umbrella.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter