Summer balls-up: Guild will not host this term’s end of year ball

Venue for this year’s Summer Ball changed from the new Guild’s Mountford Hall to Abercromby Square after delay in construction

exclusive

Students have been left disappointed after the Summer Ball venue changed from Mountford Hall to Abercromby Square.

The Summer Ball was set to be the first event in the newly-refurbished Guild, kicking things off in style.

But the plans proved a major pain in the ball (geddit?) after delays in construction meant that the Guild wouldn’t be ready in time to host the event.

The Mountford Hall at the end of January – clearly with a lot of work left to do

So now the Summer Ball, which takes place on May 30, will be happening in Abercromby Square instead.

The Summer Ball is now taking place in Abercromby Square

Guild President Sam Butler told The Tab:

“Disappointingly the building project has been delayed which has meant we can’t hold the Summer Ball in the new building.

“We had anticipated, given the huge complexity of our building, we would need another option for the ball and we have opted to host the event in a unique Abercromby Square event.

“The Mountford Hall has a smaller capacity than Abercromby Square and given the quality of the acts we have booked we are anticipating a high student demand.”

He added that the Guild will shortly be issuing a statement on the venue change.

Promising an “exciting combination of music, amusements and excellent food and drink” that will turn the Square from “bare grass to pure class” (nice), it’s set to be a big one.

Although if the weather’s like this on the day, it won’t be so bad.

But some students were still left disappointed, taking to Twitter to vent their frustrations.

But wherever it’s happening, the Summer Ball is still going ahead, and you can find out more info about the big end of year party on the Facebook event.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter