Liverpool’s Little America

Are the Americans invading Liverpool, one restaurant at a time?

| UPDATED american food east village arts club east village arts club restaurant liverpool shipping forecast

As a child, American food seemed so appealing. You’d hear stories about cookie dough in a tube, cheese in a can and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that filled every post-summer playground. American food was the stuff of dreams. But now, ten years on, their food is invading our shores and this time… it’s personal!

It can’t be a coincidence that you now can’t turn a corner in town without being confronted by an American-themed restaurant. Nowhere is safe from the appealing prospect of pulled pork, in a city that would have been more likely to think  those words were a euphemism rather than the euphoric meat heroin that they have come to represent. Surely something more sinister must be at play.

Drum n’ Bass to drumsticks. The EVAC is changing its tune.

Take East Village Arts Club, for instance. A venue that used to be known for deep house nights so good that they turned anyone in the area into a sweaty, gurning mess, who are now serving some of the most unique and delicious American-inspired eats you can get your hands on in Liverpool, like mussel popcorn and crispy deep fried calamari.

No fish at The Shipping Forecast…

However, this isn’t a recent development. From The Shipping Forecast’s American Diner menu that boasts fried chicken so good that it makes you want to disown your family and join a cult that worships fried chicken to Free State Kitchen’s range of deliciously distinctive American-style sandwiches and burgers, you know this perfectly-planned invasion has to have been in the works for a long time to produce such tantalising food.

And with Baa Bar, on Hardman Street’s, recent menu transformation from Chinese to American, you could soon be struggling to track down some authentic fish and chips, let alone a good Chinese, in a city where burgers and pizzas reign supreme.

So I beg of you: make the most of Liverpool’s Britishness while it lasts, because it might not be long until you are spelling “colour” as “color”, calling an aubergine an eggplant and forgetting that there was a time when cheese wasn’t sprayed out of a can.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.