Death In Primark

A woman, 57, has died after falling 80ft from a third-floor balcony at Primark’s city centre store.

city centre death fall primark primark death shopping

Merseyside Police said a woman, 57, was found at the bottom of  the escalators on the basement floor of Primark on Church Street at 6pm on Tuesday.

Moments earlier, other evening shoppers had seen the woman at a balcony next to the third floor escalators.

She was treated on scene by a doctor who happened to be in the local area before later being rushed to Royal Liverpool Hospital where she was pronounced dead shortly after.

A North West Ambulance Service spokeswoman said the fall from the third floor balcony was approximately 80ft (24m).

A police spokesman said: “Merseyside Police can confirm that an investigation is under way after a woman was found with serious injuries inside a clothes stores in Liverpool city centre on Tuesday evening.”

Police closed the store shortly after the incident.

One shopper, who was getting off the escalator at the basement level at the time of the incident said: “I was just on the escalator, when I saw a shadow come down past me.

“Then I heard an almighty thud. At first I thought it was a dummy that had fallen but then I realised that someone had fallen from one of the floors above.

“The impact was incredible. The poor lad on the escalator behind me was shaking.

“People were crying and then they evacuated everyone and the police cordoned off the area.”

Another witness said: “It was horrific, staff were crying and there was a call out for any medics in the shop to come help out.”

Police are currently asking for information surrounding the event.

A North West Ambulance spokeswoman later said: “The woman suffered a traumatic cardiac arrest at the scene and was treated by paramedics.

“She was taken to hospital in a critically ill condition.”

A police spokesman said: “Detectives are speaking to witnesses and viewing CCTV to establish the full circumstances of the incident.”

Anyone with any relevant information about the incident should call St Anne Street CID on 0151 777 4065 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter