Mermaid Hair: You Feelin’ It?

Girls of the 90’s – recall playing with the My Little Ponies and wishing you had the same long glossy, turquoise mane? No… Just me then.

candyfloss hair mermaid hair

Love it, loathe it – I’m loving it. This pastel thang that’s been going on recently is practically a childhood dream. Although quite sickly sweet, the ethereal, fairytale vibe this trend gives out really tickles my fancy. Definitely don’t have the balls to try it out, however.

Unless you’re a big fan of colour clashing and looking like a blancmange, I’m not sure this is for you. Unless you’re super cool with stunning chiselled features and can pull off just about anything up to a buzz cut, well you’re just a bitch. Bitches ain’t shit.

This also isn’t the most practical ‘do for the casual trip to Asda or the Brookie.

To get that dusty, romantic colour running through your tresses you’ve gotta bleach the hell out of that stuff to get the real deal. Now I’ve had some hair disasters and I’m certainly not going to let my hair come into any large amount of peroxide any time soon. But, if you’re feelin’ funky and want patchy, ‘copper’ tones added into the mix then a home bleach is the way to go.

Just something about the childish, mischievous look – like you’ve had a rather large accident with the food colouring – is quite a refreshing break from the doom and gloom of exams. Maybe having two sisters under 4 has really rubbed off on me, but this is one of very few crazy hair trends I’ve been drawn to in a long time.

I’ve found through a little bit of research, that we can actually all achieve the ice-cream dream ourselves at home without spending a fortune and without compromising the health of our hair.

There are a few products on the market that claim to give you the same taste the rainbow effect yet are simply washed out at the end of the day. Some people are calling them “hair chalks” – you’re basically colouring your hair in.

The one that stood out for me was the Color.Bug by Kevin Murphy – an ergonomically designed pod that fits comfortably into the hand. You get the full on colour, just without any of the commitment and god awful shame. You just swipe it on, then wipe it off; Murphy recommends using a hair product before hand to make it stick better. Or maybe just don’t wash out the double vod and coke that was spilt on you during the intense boot-ay shaking sesh at *insert popular student club*.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.