UoL CU Punished for their Sins

UoL CU take on JMU

It was a game that, unfortunately for CU, was over before the team had a chance to get into their rhythm. Three JMU goals in the opening 20 minutes effectively killed the game as a contest and left CU facing a massive uphill struggle.

The first of the three came after just 6 minutes, as a corner from the right was headed into the net at the back post.  JMU continued to keep up the pressure for the next 10 minutes, forcing a sharp double save from the CU goalkeeper.

The pressure continued and the keeper was helpless a few minutes later as a cross from the left was headed home from close range. The misery was then compounded for CU after a swift JMU counterattack resulted in a goal which made the score 3-0 after the first 20 minutes.

Despite JMU’s dominance, there were signs CU were slowly starting to get into the game. At the back, Harbourne made a few crucial interceptions to foil the JMU strikers. He set up an attack after breaking up play on the half way line and releasing an attacking JMU player who drove at the defence and saw his shot from the edge of the box deflected wide. Kingston, who had looked the most likely to score for CU in the first 45 minutes, had another chance soon after, but saw his right foot shot saved by the JMU goalkeeper. Phil Rainey then went close for CU, cutting in onto his right foot before unleashing a curling effort that fizzed just wide of the top corner.

But having finally established a foothold for themselves in the game, CU were then cruelly punished on the stroke of half time as another counter attack down the JMU right was turned into the net from six yards out.

For the final ten minutes of the half CU had been on top, and they started the second half in much the same fashion, with a massive shout for a penalty turned down by the referee after a shot by CU captain Phil Rainey seemed to strike an arm in the box. The team were now starting to make better use of the wings and Samuel Kingston was looking lively down the left, twice causing problems for the JMU defence with his dribbling ability. Once again however, they were caught on the counter attack and punished against the run of play by the clinical JMU forwards.

This time however, CU struck back immediately; a long range rocket from Rainey was too powerful for the keeper who couldn’t prevent it from ending up in the net. There was more pressure from CU after the goal but they could not find another breakthrough, and in keeping with the story of the match so far they were once again punished for their lack of ruthlessness. The JMU forwards couldn’t believe their luck as a breakdown in communication between the CU defence and goalkeeper allowed them to score the simplest of goals.

And with the possibility of a comeback now more unlikely than ever, Harbourne took it upon himself to move forward in an attempt to get the ball in the JMU net. A tactical switch that Mourinho himself would have been proud of saw CU go to 3 at the back and 5 in midfield, a move that allowed them to dominate possession of the ball for the remaining ten minutes.

With the result of the game beyond doubt the lads had a chance to enjoy themselves and two last minute corners were attacked by all 11 CU players, including the goalkeeper who saw his chance for some late heroics. However, once again the clinical nature of the JMU forwards shone through and with pretty much the final kick of the game they broke forward and scored a sixth to completely wrap up proceedings.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.