ATB FC: The Season So Far

All The Boys FC forced to face reality as the team get off to a disappointing start

ATB FC Football university of liverpool

After ATB FC’s initial high hopes that come with the boyish excitement of making a football team, our hopes were dealt a killer blow by the shocking news that our first choice keeper, Oscar Davies, would be unavailable for the first four matches due to work commitments.

The boys’ all-red kit fittingly resembled Liverpool as they had a similarly shocking start to the season, taking only 1 point from the first 4 games while conceding 12 goals.

This period was characterised by high player turnover and a lack of understanding between the players.  The return of first choice goalkeeper Oscar Davies, and the fantastic decision by our Head Scout to give midfield maestro Brown a starting place, gave ‘All The Boys FC’ the impetus for some proper bouncebackability.

A 1-0 win over ‘Enter Me Nan’ (we hope this was a pun on Inter Milan rather than an invitation) set the ball rolling for the reds to record a much more respectable 7 points out of 12.

Suffering a devastating 5-0 defeat in these 4 games was attributed to a much weakened squad.  Martin ‘The Boss’ Maticevic was on a scouting trip in Amsterdam and Old Man Obi was too tired to leave his game of Monopoly.  Meanwhile, Brown was playing with tonsillitis. Yet all this remains a poor excuse for our inability to carry out our Maticevic’s complex tactics written on a scrap of paper.

That Pennybags bitch has a lot to answer for

The last night of 6-a-side football before our continental-style winter break was a double header. The first fixture against ‘Combined Honours’ proved to be a great success as Sawko ended his goal drought and Powell’s excellent work-rate rewarded with a goal in a euphoric 3-0 win.

After the game Davies was forced to turn down a serious transfer offer from the Honours student as they were unwilling to meet his wage demands. However, this transfer speculation clearly unsettled the gangly goalie in the next match as ‘BioMed 6s’ scored an early goal before Old Man Obi proved the value of experience by scoring an unbelievable equaliser. The Boys were able to cling on to a draw in this game against an opposition that previously could have humiliated the (predominantly) young team.
Most of the team went into the winter break looking forward to rest and recuperation in preparation for the new season. However, ‘The Boss’ was not content with such laziness. In his role as commercial director, Maticevic looks to have secured a kit and sponsorship deal with Medication. This investment and increased professional air about the club has given the club serious hope for the re-starting on February 1st against Vets FC.

Meet the boys in The Tab’s profile of ATB FC

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter