Lincoln students are collaborating with WeAreWithYou charity to make a ‘positive change’

They hope it’ll ‘open more doors for people in recovery’

A group of Fine Art students at the University of Lincoln are collaborating with the British charity, We Are With You (WAWY). They are a UK-wide drug, alcohol, and mental health charity that aims to make positive changes to people’s lives. This group of students are working with the Lincolnshire branch, “demonstrating how art can be used therapeutically as a means of expression, especially during the current Covid climate.”

Over ten weeks, the six students are working with six WAWY clients to create a collection of work to exhibit online and in the University Gallery.

via @groundingsuol_wawy on Instagram

The group of students said: “As well as helping these individuals we aim to showcase the charity and how it can help others. Our final art exhibition aims to show the amazing work done by the charity and spread awareness for the work done by the charity.

“The project has allowed us all to shape ourselves further in art and in life. For most of us, solidifying our future career paths after University. As well as allowing us all to gain an understanding of more people to take forward our artistic practice.”

via @groundingsuol_wawy on Instagram

Carmen, one of the students part of the project said: “Watching my client use my art techniques to better his recovery, has been the most moving experience. This showcases how important the process is and how impactful it is for both parties.”

Hannah said: “The project is important to me as it is allowing me to unlock more of my creativity whilst helping others along the way.”

via @groundingsuol_wawy on Instagram

We Are With You provides free and confidential support to people who are experiencing issues with alcohol, drugs, or their mental health. They use their expertise to deliver support and raise awareness for particular issues their clients are facing.

Alex, another student part of the project said: “This experience is important to me as it has built my confidence in my artistic abilities when facilitating my participation. It has been rewarding seeing them use new skills, and progressing positively.”

Naomi, Harriet, and Oliwia all shared the sentiment as the others and they hope it’ll “open more doors for people in recovery and create a space to break stereotypes.”