Leeds Beckett disciplined 403 students for Covid-19 rule breaches in the first weeks of term

That’s the second highest in the UK

Leeds Beckett University disciplined 403 students for Covid-19 rule breaches in the “first weeks” of term, according to The Guardian.

Out of 105 universities, Leeds Beckett is second only to the University of Nottingham, who disciplined 672 students. Next in the ranking was Oxford Brookes (340), then the University of Manchester (334), and Aberdeen University (215).

The University of Leeds issued fines to 343 students, but did not disclose how many of these regarded breaching Covid regulations, and did not reveal their value.

The figures do not include fines or disciplines issued by police, but The Tab Leeds revealed West Yorkshire Police broke up 18,000 parties in the first two months of term.

28 universities in the UK have issued students with fines in relation to breaching Covid rules. The UK fines total more than £170,000. The University of Nottingham said their fines were up to £1,500, and totalled to £58,865. Aberdeen University, fifth on the list, revealed the second highest fine value at £32,250 by 24 November. They had issued out fines of £17,750 on 140 students by 15 October.

Larissa Kennedy, the president of the National Union of Students, said: “It is absolutely unacceptable that universities have felt it necessary to issue obscene fines and harsh punishments.”

The Guardian received responses from 105 universities after making freedom of information (FoI) requests. Behaviour to warrant fines included breaking university, local and national Covid rules, including on household mixing, mandatory face coverings and social distancing.

Updated: An earlier version of this article said that Leeds Beckett fined 403 students when in fact these were disciplinary measures and were not necessarily fines.