Coronavirus cases at Leeds Uni plummet by 66 per cent compared with the previous week

117 new cases were confirmed last week

The University of Leeds has revealed the number of new cases of coronavirus within the uni community is down 66 per cent compared with the previous week.

There were 640 confirmed cases in the first week of term, 346 in the second, and 117 last week, with just four new cases were recorded on Sunday.

As of Sunday 18th October, there were still 228 active active cases within the uni community.

Click here for a full breakdown of the statistics.

While South Yorkshire and Greater Manchester have entered Tier 3 lockdowns, as yet, Leeds has avoided the extra measures.

The leaders of West Yorkshire’s councils said: “Government ministers did not meet leaders today.

“Local and national public health experts agree that there is not a case to move West Yorkshire to Tier Three this week.

“The decision to maintain Tier Two (High Risk) restrictions reflects the progress that has been made by councils, Public Health England, the NHS and other partners working together to reduce the spread of Covid-19 and protect lives.”