Leeds Beckett expect ‘small group teaching’ to continue next term

‘We are working to adapt our campus to enable social distancing, so that small group teaching can continue where possible’

Leeds Beckett’s campus will re-open in September with “small group teaching” expected to feature next term, an email to applicants confirms.

The email reads: “We are working to adapt our campus to enable social distancing, so that small group teaching can continue where possible.”

The details of plans relating to the first term of teaching will be revealed in the coming weeks, but it is clear that a proportion of learning will take place online.

The email continues: “We’re investing more, so you’ll have access to the technologies you’ll need, ensuring you’ll be able to access online learning where it’s necessary.”

This comes as students nationwide face great uncertainty regarding the state of university education in the coming academic year.

Some students feel that the introduction of online teaching will reduce the quality of their degree and therefore they shouldn’t have to pay the full fees for it.

A poll conducted by The Tab and taken by 9,500 students, even suggested that over half of students would drop out if all teaching was carried out online.

The University of Leeds hasn’t issued any recent communication regarding the re-opening of campus since an email to staff sent on May 7th, although it’s understood that planning for the first term of the next academic year is underway.

In that email, University Secretary Roger Gair wrote: “I must emphasise that resuming activities on campus will involve several phases, probably spread over several months.”

Leeds Uni expect some the practise of social distancing to continue on campus into the Autumn and “perhaps for longer still.”

The uni details how this could see “the adoption of new ways of working or staggered working patterns” being introduced, as well as having “prescribed routes within and between buildings.”