Meet Leeds’ biggest BMOCS

Leeds Brand Managers on Campus

Most of us spend our university experiences as unemployed poverty-stricken students, however this intelligent bunch managed to bag a desirable source of income through becoming Student Brand Ambassadors.

Brands such as Bumble, Red Bull and Victoria’s Secret PINK employ people to enthusiastically promote their brands on campus in return for competitive pay and in some cases, super envious merch.

We spoke to some of the most influential brand ambassadors at Leeds to discover what it is about their roles that makes the job so ideal, and why others should consider applying. It looks great on a CV and certainly beats dragging your hungover self to a part-time waitressing job after a messy night at Warehouse.

Hope Yeomans – Victoria’s Secret PINK

Course/Year?

Broadcast Journalism – Second Year

What made you decide to Rep for VS PINK? 

I applied to become a VS PINK Campus Rep after a friend recommended it! I knew the competition would be fierce and never expected to make it past the first round! In my first year I would ALWAYS see the VS PINK reps on Campus and thought I’d be in my element doing such a fun job and representing a brand that I love!

Biggest advantages of the role? 

Being given enough VS PINK to last a lifetime…literally! As well as our amazing boss always surprising us with PINK presents in the post.

Best moment so far of being a Brand Ambassador?

We hired out Oxyen Free-jump for 100 uni girls to participate in our Active Wear Launch and to win prizes! Applications for a place were taken within the first 5 minutes of the event going live! The atmosphere at the event was the best we could have hoped for and it was amazing to spoil Leeds Uni girls with PINK prizes! I think that our best moment is yet to come though and we cannot wait to share what we have planned for this month…

Tell us an interesting fact about you

I think I can name every single VS angel in existence.. I’ve watched every fashion show at least 12 times!!

Where do you see yourself post-uni? 

I would love to be within the production team of a Channel 4 programme- researching/editing for shows like First Dates!

Charlotte Everest – Bumble

Course/Year?

Theatre and Performance – Third Year

What made you decide to Rep for Bumble?

I decided to work for Bumble because of their encouragement to be fun, imaginative and exciting in the work place. They don’t ask for strict hours and are simply happy to know you are putting the work in amongst your studying. Perfect for those dissertation deadlines.

Best advantages of the role?

Merchandise! The tops are so soft and I wear them all the time – not just for work. I also love the social aspect of most of the events we organise (2-4-1 drinks, house parties, or wine nights).

Best moment so far of being a Bumble Honey?

I won £200 before I had even started working because of the amount of friends I got to share my photo – was so simple and such a great perk! Bumble also give us the opportunity to come up with our own stunts, and we’re super excited to have a featured Bumble Snapchat filter going up for Valentine’s Day!

Tell us an interesting fact about you

I got my septum pierced for an odd’s on (because I’m a typical student where odd’s on is life or death) and now my brother has nicknamed me ‘the bull’, please help.

Where do you see yourself post-uni?

I am a theatre director so hopefully doing that!

James Bennett – Tilt

Course/Year?
Maths – Second Year

What made you decide to Rep for Tilt? 

I decided to work for Tilt because they seemed like a really easy company to be an ambassador for, and the programme was very accessible. I also fancied something a bit different to put on my CV because it was a bit dead lol.

Biggest advantages of the role:

FREE STUFF. I only started working as a Tilt Ambassador in September and between my start date and Christmas I received a pair of Nikes, an Apple TV and a giant beanbag which is legit the best thing in my life right now. They also reward us with money and Amazon vouchers.

Probs still the beanbag lol.

Tell us an interesting fact about you

Everyone says I’m a 10/10, need I say more?

Where do you see yourself post-uni?

I see myself somewhere dark, crying that I’m not at uni anymore, or in finance, they’re pretty much the same thing.

Jem Compton and Imy Skinner – Soap and Glory

Course/Year?

English and French / Theatre and Performance – Second Year

What made you decide to Rep for Soap and Glory?

Imy – I love the brand and products. I wanted to find a job that would be great work experience, as I want to go into the marketing/ advertising industry when I leave Uni. The role also offers goals and rewards as well as giving me an opportunity to spread  the word about the cool products Soap & Glory have to offer.

Biggest advantages of the role?

Jem – The number one perk is definitely giving out loads of cool stuff for free and in return making gals super happy.

Imy – We get first hand experience on how to virtually market a product; via Snapchat, Facebook, Pinterest and Blogging. It has also given me an opportunity to write a blog, where I have been nominated for a bloggers award.

Jem – Without a doubt the cocktail shaker I was given   – most fun for pres.

Tell us a different fact about you

Imy – I auditioned for Britain’s got talent when I was 13 doing street dance…. got to the stage before the live shows. So cringe thinking about it now, as the we were a double act and had matching printed t-shirts.

Where do you see yourselves post-uni?
Imy – On a beach somewhere, lathered in righteous body butter and marketing up a storm.

Jem -Married with loads of babies and puppies.

Sophie Ella Burbidge – Red Bull

Year/Course?

History – Second Year

What made you decide to work for Red Bull?

I’ve always been a big Red Bull fan and when I heard about the Wings Team it sounded like such a great opportunity! Red Bull has an amazing brand image and reputation of being fun and original, so thought it would be great to get involved. The role also offers something different from standard uni jobs as I get to do something completely different every time I work!

Biggest advantages of the role?

The role is known as the best student job ever which is definitely true. As part of the Wings Team I’ve had the opportunity to travel to so many new places I’ve never been before! It’s great to be able to constantly go out meeting new people and chatting to them about the brand whilst giving them a can! I’ve also had the opportunity to work at some amazing Red Bull sports and culture events like the Red Bull Music Academy. And of course there’s an endless supply of free Red Bull!

Best moment so far of being part of the Wings Team?

Working on cool events such as the Red Bull Music Academy and the Wings at Work campaign in London. Being part of a 20 car convoy across Westminster Bridge and round Parliament Square was definitely a memorable highlight!

Tell us an interesting fact about you

I also work as Victoria’s Secret PINK campus rep, which I reckon makes me the most enthusiastic Brand Rep out there.

Where do you see yourself post-uni?

Living life on an endless holiday travelling round the world. But most probably working in PR or Marketing!

So there you have it, a round-up of some of the most friendly people on campus – plus, they want to give you free stuff.