Literally where would we be without Hyde Park Sainsbury’s Local?

Gutted if you live in Woodhouse

Oh, Sainsbury’s. What did we do to deserve you? From the 24/7 access to the guy playing a tuba at 4am, we wouldn’t change a thing.

It doesn’t judge

Whether you’re dressed up, buying pres before a night out, hungover the next day, still in last night’s clothes, or making a 4am pilgrimage for Red Bull and chewing gum in the midst of essay panic, you won’t look out of place.

It’s a house party saviour

It’s midnight and you drastically underestimated how far your four pack of Red Stripe would go in getting you drunk enough to enjoy being in someone’s sweaty, cramped Brudenell basement. No worries, Sainsbury’s is there for you, and probably only a couple of minutes walk away from wherever in Hyde Park you happen to be.

You leave with a pack of cheap St Cervois beers and you’re set – at least until you inevitably head back for drunk food later.

You’ll see everyone you know there

Especially when you’re looking rank and hungover, scavenging around for some paracetamol and a Berocca.

The lazy student’s dream

Yeah, Burley Park Co-Op is way cheaper and bigger, but the ten minute trek down Brudenell Road doesn’t seem worth it when all you want is some onions. At the beginning of second year, we all promise ourselves we won’t do the big shop there, but inevitably, laziness takes over and suddenly the mission to Kirkgate Market just isn’t going to happen.

It’s the hub of Hyde Park

The closer you live to Sainsbury’s the better. The Brudenells, Chestnut Avenue, the Hessles – if this were Monopoly, they’d be Mayfair. Ashville Terrace? Old Kent Road.

The cash machine is always broken

Inevitably, you’ll be in a rush and just need to get a quick tenner out, but it’s broken. Again. They must make a killing out of students buying a pack of chewing gum just to get cashback.

It’s legendary

We’ve all heard the rumour, it’s apparently the most expensive Sainsbury’s outside of London. The only other shop with a story that well known is Zulfi’s and its one star hygiene rating. Fresh.

It has its quirks

Where else would you find the “essentials”, i.e. things the staff think student might steal rather than buy, behind the counter? They’ve put tights, batteries, and razors out of our reach, and it baffles me every time.

Yeah, it’s not perfect, but it’s ours.

Sainos, we love you.