On my first week of uni, my drink was spiked

I collapsed and was in and out of consciousness for three hours

It was another busy Monday night in Leeds. I’d just moved to the city and it was my first week of uni, a few hours into a big Freshers’ night out.

After a few hours in Pryzm, we headed to a smaller bar in Leeds where I decided to get one more drink. Drink in hand we headed back towards the dance floor before I noticed my phone wasn’t in my pocket. I put my drink down for literally a few seconds as I rummaged in my bag looking for it. However, all it took was a few seconds for my night to be turned into a nightmare.

My family had warned me about staying safe on a night out countless times before I moved to uni, but I didn’t realize the true dangers until that night. While Leeds is a pretty friendly city, not everyone has good intentions.

I didn’t notice much at first. Slowly I felt my face and body go slightly numb and then my head started to spin. “It’s just the alcohol,” I told my flatmate as we stepped outside to get a taxi home. But as soon as my feet struck the pavement I collapsed into a heap on the floor. I was lying on the floor for just short of three hours fading in and out of consciousness as I struggled to breathe and couldn’t control my vomiting. I was covered in tissue and jackets as people struggled to keep me warm. I felt vulnerable and scared, I’d never been in a situation like that before. Luckily, there were people who stopped to help and make sure I got home safe.

It happened after a night out in Pryzm

The next day was horrendous. I woke up covered in sick, still hazy from the night before. What really upset me was worrying about what could have happened if the situation had escalated anymore. I then had to explain what had happened to my parents, which was the hardest part. I couldn’t believe it had happened to me, especially in a new city. All I can be thankful for is that everyone supported me and made me feel more at ease with a horrible situation.

Sadly, people are not made as aware as they should be. We can easily feel invincible on nights out, but it can happen to anybody. It was horrible, but I’ve learnt from it. Being spiked was a harsh reminder to always keep my drink in sight, and never accept a drink from a stranger.

For something that happens so often, it’s scary how little people talk about being spiked. It shouldn’t be something to be ashamed of, and it’s something we should be more aware of.

If you do think you have been spiked, make sure you ring an ambulance or inform someone around you immediately. Never leave on your own under any circumstance. If this has happened to you in the past, please don’t hesitate to talk to somebody about it. It can be a very traumatic and confidence knocking experience. There are many acts of support both within university and with friends so never feel ashamed to talk to somebody. No matter who you’re with, please stay safe and always be aware.