Mezz could be stripped of license over Tequila Scandal

The club may be forced to close after police investigate rape joke video and free-pouring booze

Mezz could lose its license as Leeds City Council are set to review the club following the rape joke controversy.

A West Yorkshire police investigation raised concerns about ‘highly inappropriate and sexually suggestive advertising campaigns’.

In the slammer … The video that kicked off the controversy

The report says young men were ‘being encouraged to engage in violent sexual acts against females’.

And it concludes that the video encourages violent sex, degrades women and poses a ‘real threat to public safety’.

Police are also looking into free-pouring – where bar staff pour alcohol straight into customers’ mouths from the bottle, which contradicts licencing regulations.

Under fire … Tequila’s controversial drink pouring violates their license

A statement issued by Mezz said: “We have taken this matter very seriously.

“Over the last six years that we have worked with Tequila UK, they have proved themselves to be very responsible promoters.”

“Their clientele are always polite and well behaved and we have never had any reports of serious offences in relation to the night.”

“We are cooperating fully with the licensing authority and we hope to resolve this matter swiftly.”

Taking a shot at Tequila … Protesters outside the club