Murano wins best UK student halls award 2022

Murano beat halls at unis such as Oxford and Edinburgh

Student halls often have a bad reputation. Messy kitchens, cramped rooms, thin walls and loud flatmates can all dampen experiences of anyone’s first year at university.

Students can often find themselves unsatisfied with living conditions and feel ripped off. Those issues will be a far cry for residents at Murano student village. The famed Glasgow University Halls building has just won the prestigious Student Housing International Title.

Murano, which beat out halls buildings at universities such as Oxford and Edinburgh, won on the basis of its “spacious, airy bedrooms” and its “state of the art facilities”.

Boasting luxurious mod cons such as state of the art kitchens and Instagram-worthy bedrooms, Murano provides students with clean, comfortable accommodation at a budget price.

Harry Morrison, a first-year history student said, “I would stay here for another year if I was able to. My time living in Murano has been spectacular value for money, the modern conveniences are worth the £134.47 I pay each week. I never imagined I would be living in such incredible luxury for that price as a student”.

Maya Stanley, a first-year Zoology student also had high praise for Murano. “I love living so far from the university” she said. “It really helps to create a great balance between my social life and my studies. The walk home at night is a real adrenaline boost and I love the excitement it has added to my life”.

The Tab Glasgow reached out to Louise Wright, a spokeswoman for the Student Halls International Title. She says that the award was given to Murano based on four factors: Cleanliness, comfort, value for money and location.

“Murano has exceeded all of our organisation’s expectations” she said. “It’s got that perfect balance between liveliness and comfort that many university halls buildings struggle to achieve. It is excellent value of money for any student. The modern conveniences are second to none. Murano is easily one of the best halls buildings I’ve come across in my career.”

In addition to its luxurious living spaces, Murano provides a fantastic social atmosphere, with leafy courtyards for outdoor meet ups and cosy common rooms for the colder months.

The flats, which can be home to as many as twelve students, were described as “not at all cramped” by the Student Halls International Title. Murano’s past as a prison also creates a secure and safe environment for any student, something which the university strived to maintain during the pandemic.

The university went above and beyond in 2020, when it locked down hundreds of students during a Covid outbreak, something which Harry Morrison wishes the university would reinstate in 2022.

“I’m just sad I never got to experience being permanently inside Murano for weeks” he said. “The university really went all out to try and recreate Murano’s history. I feel the experience could be a real selling point for future students”.

Check the date you April Fool!