Glasgow University Charity Fashion Show donate over £43,000 to Glasgow Women’s Aid

Skydives, Half-Marathons, Jailbreaks and Catwalks: the final figures are in!

In a time of global crisis, GUCFS have shared some positive news after the society announced they have donated £43,047.54 to this year’s charitable partner, Glasgow Women’s Aid. The theme of the 2020 show, ‘IN BLOOM’, aimed to find strength in the face of adversity, and this is an important message we should be reminded of in these uncertain times.

GUCFS’ chosen charity, Glasgow Women’s Aid supports women, children, and young people who are experiencing domestic abuse, by providing information and temporary refuge in and around Glasgow. The charity has announced their decision to use the money donated by GUCFS to invest in a new full-time staff member, who will support women at crisis point. The donation by GUCFS will fund the post for one year, after which Glasgow Women’s Aid will seek matched funding to extend the impact of the vital service, in order to continue supporting women, children and young people. With the National Domestic Abuse helpline recently reporting that calls have increased by 25%, the vitality of crisis support workers are needed now more than ever.

Manager of Glasgow Women’s Aid, Angela Devine, has said ‘The impact that GUCFS’ efforts have and will make are so far-reaching, it will be felt across the whole sector of violence against women and girls’.

After the 2019 show, FLVX, sold out within minutes, GUCFS responded to the rise in demand by spreading this year’s show ‘IN BLOOM’, across two nights for the first time in its 6 years of operation. The increasing success of the society over the past 6 years is something that should be celebrated and encourage students to become involved through committee, membership, event attendance, or fundraiser participation.

The emotive strength of the charity is at the heart of the society and has inspired students, designers and sponsors, to come together to support the event. The locality and relevance of Glasgow Women’s Aid really encouraged local businesses, such as BOHO, Finsbay Flat Iron and Selective Personnel to kindly support the event in terms of sponsorship, which contributed hugely towards the overall donation. On top of the effort that was put into the show, GUCFS has worked actively over the year to produce diverse fundraisers, such as hair-cuts, shellac nails and the annual Jailbreak event in order to maximise the overall donation.

GUCFS President Beth O’ Shea said ‘I am so proud of every member of GUCFS, who have put their all into making this year our most successful year yet. IN BLOOM pushed GUCFS’ creative and innovative boundaries and I truly think our efforts are reflected in this year’s success. It has been an honour to help raise money and awareness for such an amazing charity, and Glasgow Women’s Aid’s services are now more critical than ever.’

If you would like to find out more about the amazing work undertaken by Glasgow Women’s Aid, visit: http://www.glasgowwomensaid.org.uk/about-us.html